Make your own spices and spice mixes!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
so lucky said:
Wannabefree said:
If he likes Maker's Mark he should really try Glen Livet.
I'll have to remember that. Thanks.
Yeah that's all I hear about from DH when the topic of alcohol comes up :lol:

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
Making your own vanilla is SO much less expensive and SO much better flavor as well. I make all my own mixes from scratch and grow several herbs as well, though due to work I have not been doing it lately :/ But now that i am unemployed I can do it again :woot I like to add cilantro to my taco seasoning too to give it a more authentic mexican flavor. Ya'll should try tossing some in, it makes a big difference! :)
It seems odd to me, but cilantro is hard to come by here. I usually toss in a pinch of dried oregano as a sub :hu

Since I was a clueless amateur when I started growing herbs, I threw all of them into brown paper bags, rolled them up, and lined the edge of my kitchen floor with them. Dried beautifully. :p That was with my basil, thyme. oregano, lemon balm and sage. My peppers (and beans, but that's off topic) I always string up with thread and hang, like I was taught. The only pepper I won't hang, mainly because I ALWAYS have issues, is jalapeno. I slice them and dehydrate. Most of my mix ingredients stay in their whole form until needed. I use a mortar and pestle to grind them, because the guys like big pieces instead of powdery, guess it proves I didn't cheat and sneak in some from the store. :rolleyes: The mixes I use constantly (pizza spice mix and taco seasoning) I do up a large batch and keep them in airtight containers in the frig. I always try to have a quart of vanilla going. The last time I priced pure vanilla in the store, I almost fainted!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I do the pizza/spaghetti seasoning too, and fresh is sooooooooooo goooooood :drool I make it for the neighbors as well :)

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
I do the pizza/spaghetti seasoning too, and fresh is sooooooooooo goooooood :drool I make it for the neighbors as well :)
This last batch was the first one I made with ALL my home grown herbs/peppers(we are a hot and spicy bunch ;) ) :woot DS made me swear that I would NEVER go back to store bought :D

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
That sounds strangely familiar :lol: We like it hot as well. I always have to tone it down for DD... :/

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
There are a lot of spices and herbs that don't do well here, others are fine. Best buys for me are at an Indian market. You can get a full cup of allspice for a couple dollars so it sure isn't worth trying to grow some things.

Homemade vanilla is a must! Best buys on vanilla beans are from http:vanillaproductsusa.com (thanks to another ss here for that link) You get about 200 beans for around $30.

http://busycooks.about.com/lr/homemade_mix_recipes/334772/2/ has a lot of make it yourself mix recipes. It's easy to adjust any of them to your own tastes.

ninny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! I am going to start making my as it runs out. Chicken bouillon any ideas on that one?

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
ninny said:
Thanks everyone! I am going to start making my as it runs out. Chicken bouillon any ideas on that one?
Powdered or oxo cube chicken bouillon is actually mostly yeast extract and msg, nothing real in there, far better to just make your own chicken broth and freeze or can it :)

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
moolie said:
ninny said:
Powdered or oxo cube chicken bouillon is actually mostly yeast extract and msg, nothing real in there, far better to just make your own chicken broth and freeze or can it :)
Ditto