Making a little extra cash

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
When I have the time from my forced job, I like to make all kinds and sundry of things to sell....mostly because I love to create and sometimes it's hard to sell some things because I like them so much. These I keep.

I have and do still make, when I can:

soaps
lotions
lip balms
sugar and salt scrubs
miniature quilts-the lap throws that someone already mentioned
wind chimes from old farm metal and old silver utensils
hearth baskets
wreaths
acrylic painting on old barn board
bird houses from old barn board
sell fruit, veggies, eggs, etc.
Massage Therapy

I would dearly love to drift more into making things to sell, as I love to do this and less of actual leaving my home to work. But, alas....not yet.

Grandma Goldie

Power Conserver
Reaction score
abifae said:
For actual MONEY I have a job that I hate lol. But I work legitimately from home doing remote call center.
I do too. :frow Wonder if it is the same company

nightshade

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I create hand painted custom Christmas ornaments from peoples photographs that they provide me. This is mostly a fall winter thing. The rest of the year I do portraits and other art work. And I use to do landscaping for friends and family until my RA got so bad making it hard for me to walk.

beerman

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I recycle metal. When scrap prices were high last year I made around $6000 extra BUT I had A LOT of metal and old cars. This year I Made around $2500. If I see a appliance in the garbage ill pick it up and large pieces of metal. Its not the funniest but its not to bad.
Brian

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
beerman said:
I recycle metal. When scrap prices were high last year I made around $6000 extra BUT I had A LOT of metal and old cars. This year I Made around $2500. If I see a appliance in the garbage ill pick it up and large pieces of metal. Its not the funniest but its not to bad.
Brian
Hi Brian, welcome to Sufficient Self!!! (I love your screen name too. :p )

Do you have heavy trash pick up regularly where you live? Back in Houston, on heavy trash day (every other week, believe it or not) the metal guys came the night before and gleened the piles of all the metal. It made me so happy to see the metal being recycled. (Other neighbors sorta got snippy about the mess they left behind. I say, hey it is easier to contain the leftover mess than it is to haul your own metal dryer to the recycling plant.)

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Sell eggs.
Sell meat chickens.
Occasionally sell woven baskets and woven ribbon handbags.
Just made first lip balm sales.
Soon to be making soap sales (hopefully!)
CSA share sales.
One canning class, hopefully more this summer.
Farmer's market vegetable/fruit sales.

My "real" job makes the consistent money and provides the bennies for the family. The rest is what I actually love to do :)

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
I have a day job that takes up wayyyy too much time. I also craft much too slowly to actually sell anything. :( But, I love learning how to do things, so I am slowly building up my crafting skills. My goal is mostly to be able to run a basic lifestyle using my own knowledge- canning, heating, knitting, weaving, quilting, baskets, soap, anything that sounds productive and interesting.

I have freqently wished I had time to get back into stained glass. When I was making big things I used to think it was a shame to have so many little pieces of glass that weren't useful, so I made tiny (1/2 inch) diamonds out of them and pieced them together into lone star patterns in glass. Came out pretty well, and made me feel like I was using up my trash. :D

meriruka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I make these mice things out of scraps of material & lace I get at yard sales & auctions. I sell them for $10, which in this economy is more than people want to pay but they take 4 hours each to make.
286_p10100509.jpg

I also make my own potpourri out of stuff I collect on my land and block kitchen soap that is not beautiful but removes, beet stains, blood stains & grease like a charm.

boggybranch

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Grow and sell vegetables, cut trees, build and sell bluebird boxes out of picked up scrap lumber,
scavage and sell metal, pick up and sell pecans (usually on "halves").....and NEVER miss any other oportunity to make a little extra money. (been unemployed since April 3, 2008, no savings, don't use plastic, with a monthly income of $674.00....gotta do what ya gotta do, to survive)