Making a little extra cash

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
meriruka said:
I also make my own potpourri out of stuff I collect on my land
Ah, thank you for reminding me! I have been wanting to put that into my monthly planner so that I could remember to collect a ton of those tiny hemlock pinecones next year (maybe still this year).

hunter1hall

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I raise meal worms for extra cash. Its fairly inexpensive to maintain, and there is actually a huge market for them. I sell to bait stores, pet stores and other people raising chickens.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well you all know already our favorite laundry soap on this forum, the one with borax, fels napa and washing soda?

My neighbor makes it and sells it like crazy. $5 a gallon. Its a money maker for as far a home crafts goes.

she sells at bazaars and what every place she can find. The coop in a nearby city and people come to her house for it.

I'm surprized folks here are not doing it too!

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I retired this past year and am now collecting my social security (Yea!).
My husband works at home - woodworking - he does custom stand-alone cabinets and small boxes we sell through a friend's shop. We grow and sell veggies at our Farmer's Market and since I'll be home full time I plan on canning a lot more (that'll save, not make, money. Sure glad I found y'all.

tamlynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am a sahm mom, homeschooling my kids on a city lot, so my main way to "make" money is to spend as little of it as possible. :lol:

I also do make and sell I-spy bags, but nearly all by word of mouth. I don't have an online store or anything.

cow+front+green.JPG

http://tamlynnj.blogspot.com/2008/05/i-spy-bags.html

I have also done commissioned artwork and graphic design, but that also is by word of mouth.

When my kids were preschoolers, I taught a homebased preschool. That brought in money, but once my kids were older, it became too much.

peckndirt

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I didn't read all the post but I make extra money from , fire wood $70 a load , collards $1.00 per mature plant , eggs $2.00 a dozen , wine $8.00 a jar , rabbits cleaned $8.00 each , chickens , ducks , manure , smoked meat and a couple other odds and ends . The taxes get paid and in summer I do other things. The good lord and hard work wins out every single time. It's all in how you look at what you have to work with , which is everything in the world.

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
murphysranch said:
Wood for 70 bucks? Is that a cord? Wood out here is a min of $225 and more for a cord of oak.
I wish I could find wood for 70 bucks :) Ours is about the same as Murphysranch... $250/cord for maple/birch