Making cheese without dairy animals? Friday update

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Exactly! Hahahahaha

I love it :) she is gonna be a great lady to get to know :weee

Who knows, maybe I have found a way to dip my toe back into the SS lifestyle without bringing home a goat or making my family move to the country. Ellie is going to be full of great ideas :ya

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm excited for your new SS connection Dace! :woot

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Alright, Dace!!! now i can't wait for Friday - and I'm not even MEETING her!

But thankfully, here in Ohio, we have our own "Version" of Ellie! and I did meet her!!

Love ya ofg!!!

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
It is Friday and I made my illegal transaction :lol:

I am sad to report that dear Ellie is not related to our believed OFG.
While she is very kind and I have no problem overlooking chicken poo on clothing....her house was um, in need of shoveling out. In a big uncomfortable I couldn't bring myself to step inside and the smell was horrid kind of a way. :th

Turns out her goaties are not on the property. They are over an hour away...no big deal. She told me they are kept by a woman who " was born to work with goats" apparently they have never been in better help or produced more delicious milk.

I bought a gallon and plan to hit up the cheese making store tomorrow.

I brought my 17 yr old with me, as we walked up we saw a few hens scratching away in the front yard, DD says "aw....I miss our chickens!"
We alson bought some eggs, DD got super excited when she saw a carton of different colored eggs, some with itty bitty feathers stuck to them.....we started reminiscing about our girls.

All in all is was a good exchange, she is a nice lady, but I will probably check out the other source that I found which is a bit further away but his goats are on his property and I have a need to SEE the living environment before I purchase raw milk again.

mamaluv321

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
That's unfortunate about the goats being so far away, better luck with the next guy!

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
A few years ago, a friend and I went to a dairy farm (cow) to check it out to join their farm co-op.All I can say is that I think the farm/house we went to is probably owned by this person's relations.

The barn was only minimally dirtier, though less smelly, than the house. Although their milk house/dairy was all brand new stainless.... the place gave me the jeebies and that smell was just everywhere and nauseating. . :sick

My friend bought four gallons share of a cow. I refused to go back to the place, so not sure if she still does.

I'm glad you were able to get something for Princess. Sorry to hear the animals weren't available. I think it is important to see how the animals are being kept.

Good luck with other sources. Can't wait to hear of your cheese adventures. :D

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
good for you for having an adventure - even if it didnt work out.

:)
ps my house smells like strawberries!

Latest posts