Making it on small acreage

emilosevich

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Not much to report on this front except the extreme heat. I just feel blessed that we aren't as hot as some of the other midwesterns. Mom called me last week because they lost 3 bunnies in one day to the heat. She was already using ice bottles and had them in shade. I told her she could try spritzing them with water and that a fan is not a bad idea. They got a fan for the bunnies and moved their breeders into the laundry room in the house. They've been up over a 100 for the past couple of days. Saying prayers for them.
We are doing water checks 3 times a day. Makes it kinda feel like winter all over again. Except for the temps. The new baby goat is adjusting fine to the rest of them. Today I'm not doing much. Working on some house work, a dr appt and the kids have their program for VBS tonight. Mainly working on laundry. We've been avoiding it because of the heat, but now we have the A/C running. Going to work some more this afternoon on the blanket for QA's baby. It's coming along nicely. Not as fast as I would like, but is looking really good.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
hey, em, we're checking waterers 3x a day, too but yesterday I almost beat E with a stick! The kids and I had just been out and given everyone a fresh batch of cool water, and E comes running in (while I was making dinner, mind you) and said it looked like a couple of my chooks were having heat stroke!

I ran out the door - and everyone was FINE.

:smack

he's making up for it now, he just brought me an ice cold bottle of water :p

emilosevich

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
you make him pay for it. He should know better than to freak out the prego woman.

emilosevich

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Husband took me out after work this afternoon to show me his handiwork for the day. He took a tire that had been dumped back in the woods and cut the sidewalls off of it. Then he loaded it with composted manure and some potting soil, and planted my strawberries in it. I have been waiting for three years for a raised strawberry bed. Now I finally have one. It is so cute. I had to remind him though, with the amount of strawberries that I like to eat, we'll need another one. hehe. I hope to get pictures of it soon. I originally had him pick up the tires for planting potatoes, but this works too.
While we were out there he asked what color my cherry tomatoes were supposed to be. I told him gold and asked why he was asking. He ran over and picked 2 for me. The thing is loaded with the so I should be having fresh tomatoes on my salads very soon. He picked me baby salad the other day. I really do need to get to that.
I have not been up to par today. Kind of feeling under the weather. I don't know if my body has just had enough for now or if it's this bug bite.
Pics later of both the new tire set up and the tomatoe plant.

emilosevich

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Went out and weeded the garden for a little bit today since MIL has the kiddos and DH was out in the barn doing chores. He went out later and picked some peppers and a couple tomatoes. I do believe this is the earliest we've ever had tomatoes. :love
He went out after I was done( I only lasted about 30 mins) and he finished weeding the peppers. He said he got some corn planted the other day. It's a 60 day corn so should be ready the end of Sept if we can keep the ducks away from it.
I went to the farmer's market this morning and picked up some cucumbers, tomatoes and one huge onion and am going to make a cucumber salad for a bonfire we were invited to later tonight.

emilosevich

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Been forever since I've been on. We had our county fair and did pretty well. I think the garden is done for the season.

On another note we had a very dear family friend pass away on Friday. I was working at Rogers and he was helping his brother to load for Rogers. I've been grieving off and on since and do know that it takes awhile. I was okay until I had to get into his truck. That tore me up completely. Just praying that I can hold it together for a little while longer. Or maybe that it just comes in waves.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:hugs, sincere condolences on the loss of your friend. Let it all out when you need to, grief is a process. Remember the good times when it hurts less.

Latest posts