Making Liver/organ meats Palatable

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
So, I have honestly tried to like liver. For several years.
No dice.
Along the way though, I have figured out several ways to eat it.

Best way to date is to finely chop the liver, and mix it into ground meat. About 2-3 tbls per pound or so.
Since we hunt and put up all our own meat, this is the easiest way for us. We also mix in the chopped heart as well when we put up the grind meat.

This is the way I like to prepare chicken organ meats.
I save all the organ meats when processing, packaging them seperately in small amounts for the freezer.
Each time I roast or smoke a chicken, I save every bone for making soup gelatin/broth.
I like to add a selection of the organs into the pot and letting it simmer for about 24 hours.
The organs and meat tidbits are then finely chopped when I finish making the soup.

The last option is to simmer them in bone broth from either beef or wild game, adding in Italian seasoning, onions, carrots and celery.
This makes an amazing gravy for potatoes!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
The only kind of liver I like, is liverwurst. I have not seen a recipe for it, but I have tried to make liver pate, thinking it seemed similar. it wasn't good either.

Know of a recipe for liverwurst?

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I like liver (and other offal hehehe), so its not really a big issue for me. BUT, with the last turkey I cooked I made a discovery that might come in handy for someone else.

I saved the livers & gizzards from the first two turkeys to cook with the last one so I had 3 livers & 3 gizzards.
I put them in the bottom of the pan, under the turkey & cooked the turkey as normal. 350 for a few hours.

The juices cooked out of the turkey, so the livers & gizzards basically simmered in broth.
The texture & flavor was seriously delicious, even DS who dislikes liver ate them up and was disappointed there were no more. Even the gizzards were tender, which was surprising!

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
noobiechickenlady said:
I like liver (and other offal hehehe), so its not really a big issue for me. BUT, with the last turkey I cooked I made a discovery that might come in handy for someone else.

I saved the livers & gizzards from the first two turkeys to cook with the last one so I had 3 livers & 3 gizzards.
I put them in the bottom of the pan, under the turkey & cooked the turkey as normal. 350 for a few hours.

The juices cooked out of the turkey, so the livers & gizzards basically simmered in broth.
The texture & flavor was seriously delicious, even DS who dislikes liver ate them up and was disappointed there were no more. Even the gizzards were tender, which was surprising!
YES! I forgot that I have done that before!
We were amazed the gizzards were so melt in the mouth!

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I just cook all the organ meats up and make it palatable....for my dogs. Sorry, they are just gross to me! My pets love me for this though, especially the liver.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
I dice my liver and brown it with chicken or steak. That makes it easier for me to cope with the texture.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I love fried liver with some gravy. *drool hits the keyboard* :drool

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Fry the liver in butter, add cream, parmesan cheese and a splash of balsamic vinegar. Spice with sea salt and rosemary :D

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Fry the liver in butter, add cream, parmesan cheese and a splash of balsamic vinegar. Spice with sea salt and rosemary :D
:drool
I have a bottle of balsamic in the cupboard...

Kassaundra

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have an awesome way, feed it to your chickens then they turn it into tasty eggs! :lol:

Latest posts