Making Pickles?

denasfarm

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Hello I just bought my first canner, A really BIG one! No canners in the family to learn from (I am the strange one in the family) but over run with cucumbers and I need to learn!

So Should I buy that pre packaged pickle stuff at the store or do you wonderful Picklemakers have a much better homeade recipe (without all the chemical additives of a prepackage)

Thanks so much!
Dena Anderson

Nuggetsowner:)

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
There are tons of recipes out there for making pickles. One thing you could do is google canned pickle recipe. Otherwise, you could use the fabulous Ball Blue Book of Canning. It is a wonderful resource for new canners!!

nccountrygirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Run do not walk to you nearest WalMart and buy yourself a Balls Blue Book Of Canning, It is the best. I have had mine for over 20 yrs and still use it every summer. It will walk you through the process step by step with picture and recipes with every item listed that you will need to be a successful canner. Good Luck and if you need us we will be here for you.

coopy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Do yourself a big favor and buy the Ball Blue Canning book. You won't regret it. If you figure out how to make dill pickles stay crisp let me know. I have been canning for years and that is the only thing I can't get right. And believe me I can anything I can get my hands on. Good luck with the pickles.

denasfarm

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Thanks for the Book Idea!
I guess I am going to Walmart tomorrow! (Maybe BAMM)
I googled but couldnt decide what was tried and true and just fluff on the net.
My goal is to make Bread and Butter Pickles...YUMM!!
I will check and see what this Ball book has in it first!

Thanks again!
Dena

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I'm sure you will find lots of great recipes in the cookbook! Can I offer you 2 of our family's favorites--one for the fridge and one for the freezer:

Aunt Carols Refrigerator Dills1 quarts water
2 cups white vinegar
cup pickling salt
1 tbsp. mustard seed
tsp. alum (if desired for added crunchiness)

Bring to boil on the stove. While heating, slice a big onion on bottom of 5-qt. pail. Add garlic, 4 heads of dill, and cucumbers. Pour brine over the top. Add more dill, garlic, and onions on top. Add minced hot peppers if desired. Let stand on counter up to 4 days, then move to fridge.

Aunt Chris Freezer Pickleseasy, fast (except 1 hour of draining time) and unexpectedly crunchy when thawed and served.

8 cups cucumbers sliced, thinly sliced
1 onion, sliced
2 tablespoons salt
1 cup sugar
cup vinegar

Mix cukes, onion and salt; let stand 1 hour. Drain over sink and then squeeze out excess water. Heat 1 cups sugar and cup vinegar until dissolved. Pour over cukes. Freeze in freezer containers. Thaw and serve.

denasfarm

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
hummm freezer pickles...very interesting!
I shall try that tomorrow!

crazychickens

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Cucs will be crisp if you pick them in the morning then put in a tub of very cold water for 4-5 hours, then make into pickles. (I do this one ;) )

Cut off the blossom end of the cucs about 1/2 inch up, there is something in the end that can make pickles soft.
(I do this one ;) )

Also if you put a couple grape leaves in the jar, there is something in the grape leave the will keep them crisp.

Try a few different recipes, some pickles I like to eat straight out of the jar and others I like in sandwichs.

All of them I love in the winter, its like a little taste of summer.

enjoy :)

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
My mother used to make refrigerator dill pickles. Here is the way I make them. They are nice and crisp.
After I wash the cukes, I cut them into sizes to fit whatever jars I have, I prefer to cut them lenght wise. I sprinkle lots of kosher salt all over them and mix them up with my clean hands. Then I cover the bowl and let them sit overnight or at least a few hours. Then I cover them with water for a few minutes to draw out some of the salt and drain them.
I make a brine or use one I made up before, the recipe varies, the ones in previous posts would work, but this morning I used one that had a lot of water (I use distilled water) salt and vinegar. I heat up the brine, heat the clean jars in the oven on very low. I gather up garlic (peeled), dill, bayleaf, grapeleaves, mustard seed and sometimes other pickling spices. I rinse these to wash off the dust from the field and the ashes that have been blowing in our northern california skies. I put a grape leaf in the bottom of the jar and fill it with the salted cukes, adding a minimum of one clove garlic, some dill, a bayleaf, mustard etc.. Then I pour hot brine to the top, wipe the top and cover with clean hot lid. Place these in your refrigerator and leave them for at least a week before eating. They keep for months in the fridge, if they don't get eaten first. They are a favorite in our house and I have a hard time keeping enough on hand.
I like doing them this way, because it is easy to make small batches. I just store left-over brine in a jar 'til next time.

newchickwi

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
You may want to check out this website: http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/

The info and recipes are the current and latest based on the scientific info. Many of our past practices would not make it past today's food police and nobody has gotten sick ;) , but this site has the current recommended how-to's and recipes. This site (and their book) and the Ball Blue Book are recognized by the USDA as up-to-date. Your extension office should have a contact for a Master Food Preserver if you have any questions as to whether what you want to do is safe. I just took the MFP class through our extension office and it was great! I highly recommend it!