Manger Style Hay Feeder

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
*Please remember that there are many different ways to raise animals and everyone has and is entitled to their opinion and not one person's opinion should be forced on anyone.*

I suppose maybe her horses may never even knock over the feeder, I'd say it all depends on the animal. And I suppose if she wants to waste hay she certainly can.

I guess over here, we've had quite the variety of hay feeders for our goats, including head boards, panel fencing cut and wired on, and even just a couple boards thrown together. But then again, they are goats, not horses.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Sorry, I was getting frustrated. The set up works for me, and really I didn't post to get attacked over the safety of it. I only have the one horse, who isn't a pusher, nudger, clumsy, and isn't rough on things. I am planning on shortening it a bit and giving it more weight by adding to the legs, and I'm sorry Pat if you feel it is completely and utterley unsafe, but I feel that there are far more dangerous pieces of equipment for horses that are sold to the mass market.

The problem with horses is, if they can hurt themselves, they will. I can't control everything that happens to her, I have experienced much less hay waste, and no issues with safety. I would consider strapping it to my fence (and the suggestion of the barrel is noted, but I cannot use that in my fields as they are as they are electric fenced in most places, but I will consider putting up a post to strap a couple barrels to as an experiment, so thank you for the suggestion).

jessejames

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
on a completely different train of thought
something i have been noticing and that bugs the heck outa me is the the way you americans use the term "walla" or "waalaa"
i am not sure where this comes from but what i am sure of that you are bastardizing the french language the word is "voila"
sorry this has just been driving me nuts lately as it seems to be used everywhere and i am now seeing it creeping into some canadians posts aswell.
be well

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Bastardizing? I'm thinking its mere spelling errors. I happen to never say voila, walla, OR waalaa.

Haahaa.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hmm, I'm Canadian jessejames, north of Belleville and I hate even saying Voila in person so I'd never say it on a post :)

jessejames

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
i see it way to much as walla etc. for it to be spelling errors i just hope it doesnt go the way of colour etc. (even my friggin spellcheck says colour is spelled color?!?!?)

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
jessejames said:
i see it way to much as walla etc. for it to be spelling errors i just hope it doesnt go the way of colour etc. (even my friggin spellcheck says colour is spelled color?!?!?)
Must be an American spell checker!

What about the word "friggin"?

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
jessejames said:

I say Friggen :) I mostly started saying it because I worked at a store where the backroom opened directly onto the store and it was small, so I couldn't swear if I was frustrated or angry or anything, instead I had to say Friggen (my managers idea LOL)

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
lupinfarm said:
big brown horse said:
jessejames said:

I say Friggen :) I mostly started saying it because I worked at a store where the backroom opened directly onto the store and it was small, so I couldn't swear if I was frustrated or angry or anything, instead I had to say Friggen (my managers idea LOL)
Hey Lupin (without the e ;) ), your post had taken on a friggin life of its own hasn't it!!

We should start a thread of things that drive us nuts!! "Waalaa"!!! :lol: (Be sure to stick your tounge out when you scream that...like that obnoxious "Whaz UP?" beer commercial!) :p

jessejames

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
hey lupin you are living in my old stomping grounds i grew up in lennox and addington county and spent my summers in prince edward county or should i say "the county" lol
i never use voila either unless i am using it "en francias" i just hate to see our language bastardized for convenience or ignorance
and believe me i use friggin only because this is a "family" site!