Manual Coffee Grinder, Which To Get...?

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Can you just chew coffee beans say like you do espresso beans? I mean if you were really desperate for a caffeine fix.

just wondering.

g

mrs.puff

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have a new "antique" style coffee grinder. I got it as a gift, but it was about $40-$50 online where my aunt ordered it, and it is excellent. I don't remember it having a brand name, but it has a hand crank on top with the little drawer, and the grinder inside is heavy-duty and you can adjust the grind to be coarse or fine. I've ground coffee, nuts, and even dried mushrooms in it. I think it was a chinese make.

Having the adjustable grinder on it is good because when we make percolator coffee, we need a very coarsely ground texture, but if we want to use the little espresso dealy (we call it the "coffee rocket") it needs a fine grind.

KevsFarm

On vacation
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the tips,actually i'm a newbie to fresh ground coffee.Thats why i don't have a mill yet.Don't even know what French press is,HennyPenny9...lol
I have both an electric and stove top coffee perculator i was give when my grandmother died along with abunch of other kitchen stuff.
This will likely make you "real" coffee drinker gasp...lol. I've been drinking
Folger's freeze dried instant for yrs..
Got use to it way back in my commericial fisherman days when you only had time to grab a cup of coffee on the run, been drinking it since. When i do get a mill i guess i'm in for some really good coffee??
Those antique style coffee grinder look pretty neat, i just want something that will work well in a power outage as well as when i want real fresh ground..Been looking on e-bay and google search.thanks again all....

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I've been drinking
Folger's freeze dried instant for yrs..
:th

:gig

For decades I never drank coffee. I thought it tasted like mud. Turned out my husband was just really cheap and kept buying icky preground junk. Once I tasted fresh roasted and fresh ground whole beans I started drinking it every morning.

Now hubby is getting used to "real" coffee. Yesterday he said something about the coffee at the office tasting "off". I said "Oh, that cheap crap you bought for $6/ton that has been sitting in a warehouse for a year, was over roasted, and then rotten on a supermarket shelf getting stale until you bought it?"

:D

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
My mom says my coffee is amazing. Whole bean. I grind it. LOL. So yep yep. Once you get used to the good stuff though... no going back. It's how Starbucks stays in business. People don't realize what makes it good is it's whole bean and ground right before each cup LOL.

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
KevsFarm said:
Thanks everyone for the tips,actually i'm a newbie to fresh ground coffee.Thats why i don't have a mill yet.Don't even know what French press is,HennyPenny9...lol
People think that everyone that lives in the north west are coffee experts... This is not so! My mom hates coffee with a passion, and my former co-workers drank (and liked!) some of the worst coffee I've ever come across. And my step-dad actually is a coffee expert, but he drinks his coffee black and says that I don't drink "real coffee." :lol:

A french press is a simple container. You put the ground coffee on the bottom, pour water over the grounds, let sit, then press down a mesh strainer. http://www.amazon.com/Bodum-Brazil-...1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1273866571&sr=1-1 As long as you can heat water and grind coffee, you can use this method. So a manual grinder+hot water= good coffee even in a black out.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I have a press. It works great for tea or making coconut milk from ground coconut. Even if you hate coffee, those things are handy.

KevsFarm

On vacation
Reaction score
Spent a couple hrs reading reviews and pricing grinders, can't decide. Turkish mill to fine ,French roast to strong.I guess i need one for a good med. grind, drip. Still looking...