Many hens few eggs

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Mine roost in the barn where the light is on 24/7. Unfortunately they have taken to laying in the loft area and I'm not going up there! How do I know since I don't go up there? Cuz, one day I walked into the barn and it was raining eggs, lol!

I put fresh hay into the nest boxes in hopes it will entice them back.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don't really have a designated "coop" for the birds. I've got some pens that I toss certain breeds in when I'm trying to get some pure bred eggs - but no place that's JUST for chickens. However, I have a place in the pasture that I'm considering for the new birds when they grow up a little. It's a lean to area off the red shed that I want to enclose for the birds. I "think" they'll be ok out there since the LGD's patrol that area. I just have to make their new digs dog proof or the LGD's will be eating all my eggs!

Might be a project for spring break.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
)
I put fresh hay into the nest boxes in hopes it will entice them back.

:lol::lol: You KNOW better than that-- nice try :lol::lol:

I deposited 10 golf balls in nests today! Yep, something left when I take the "real" eggs. Found 3 hens have begun using a last years nest in past 2 days. Heard the hen singing. :D (At least they have restarted laying! :clap) Most use the coop but, I have about 8-10 "stragglers".

The thing that would worry me about those multiple eggs up there in the loft -- snakes. Can you get DS to remove whatever allows them to nest there? Or, add a ladder & collect. :D

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Several of the hens have never stopped laying in the nest boxes so they are good examples. The wayward hens were actually checking out the nest boxes yesterday and this morning one went in - but came back out when I tossed out feed, lol. We will see.
The thing that would worry me about those multiple eggs up there in the loft -- snakes. Can you get DS to remove whatever allows them to nest there? Or, add a ladder & collect. :D
Oh, I've already thought about snakes...and rats...why do you think I don't go up there, lol!! I don't really want to - but I could tack some wire up so they can't jump up in the rafters. Just not ready to go there yet.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Why is it: When I'm putting fresh hay in the nest boxes, I have an instant crew of feathered friends "trying to help"? Today, I used up the last of a bale of hay, and ended stuffing it on top of and around a hand full of helpers b/c they would not get out of the way.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You KNOW better than that-- nice try

Guess my hens are better behaved than yours, lol! :lol: ‘Course this is a Nekkie Neck and I believe they are the Einstein’s of the chicken world!

Success! This was one pf the gals that was laying upstairs!

D709FD12-570A-4D4A-87D6-5399B7FB82EB.jpeg