May be getting a Jersey cow!!!

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with the epitome of some hippy children though :p
How did she milk for the other family? Does she have much of an udder on her from her last lactation? Hopefully she'll be a good milker and won't disappoint you, I'm always a bit wary on buying dairy animals when I don't know their history.

What is the Squirrel Challenge?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
You'll have to do a search for that thread, Amos! I think you would like to join in. The Squirrel Challenge is a little contest we started, which SKR8PN went and set the bar upon with his incredibly stocked larders..... :p

Sometime in November we are submitting pics of all the stuff we have managed to squirrel away in the way of food, fuel, food animals on the hoof, etc. that increases our SS for the following year. We are also sort of keeping an update when we score on something to squirrel away or something we scrounge towards our goal.

Just a fun little thing to give us a goal and to motivate us to get prepared for winter......so we can spend more time on here talking with our friends! :lol:

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Congrats on the cow Bee sounds like it's all coming together. If you think about it the fact that you don't eat dairy is just another reason for getting her. More to sell and provide for those in need. All god things come to those who wait. Can you ship cheese to Ca??? ;)

I can't wait to see the pictures. Oh and thanks for reminding me of the squirrel challenge. I'm lagging on that. g

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Oh, no, Tanks!!!! Got to get a leg up on that challenge! I can't wait to see what everyone has accomplished by Nov. This ought to be fun to see.....

I would like to do some designer cheeses with my herbs, garlic and such. I am going to invest in a good cheese making book. Maybe I'll send you a sampling of my gourmet cheese! ;)

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am going to hold you to that. With all my snobby Ca friends, you may be selling nation wide in no time. :D

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Hey...ya never know....a gift basket from Sweetwater Farm could be the next big thing! Maybe even make it to Oprah's Favorite Things list.... :D

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I was wondering...since I haven't had dairy for many years and don't really pay attention to things like this.....

How much are you guys paying for a gal. of milk these days? How bout raw milk? A pound of fresh, homemade butter? Cheese?

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Over here a gallon of vit D whole cows milk is 4.95 or so.

However, a quart of goats milk over here is 6.00.

I don't know the prices of cheese or butter, or raw cow milk.

We sell our raw goat milk for around $10-12 a gallon though.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
:ep wow! Our milk prices here have dropped to around $3 a gallon but it was almost $5. I don't know about raw milk or goats milk but I wish I could get some. There's a dairy right down the road about 10 miles but I don't know that I want their milk. I've been inside and they are fairly clean....if you know what I mean ;)