May be getting a Jersey cow!!!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Guess what I got at an auction today? A Gem Dandy electric butter churn!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its old and it works like a dream! Big 2 gal. size!

:celebrate :weee :ya

Now....for the piece de' resistance...... I got it for $15!!!!!!!!!!

In Lehman's catalog, the exact same butter churn...except newer and with cheaper components...is $279!!!! :th

I'm beginning to think that God really, really wants me to have this cow.....I didn't even go to that auction for a butter churn. I went for a tiller that went for way out of my price range.

That's not all I got there for a wonderful price....but that I will tell you about that on another thread! :D

I never get anything at auctions.....everyone always outbids me! Today? God was bidding for me! :love

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Congratulations!

I DO love a good bargain!

If it is part of God's plan - things just seem to fall into line.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Hey, Free...you'll never guess! I found all the info I need, except for recipes for different flavored or herbed cheeses, in my Back to Basics book by Reader's Digest. That book is such a marvel!!!

Has how to make Colby, Monterey Jack, etc. I will still probably get a more in-depth book on the whole dairying process, but this one is amazingly detailed and thorough in just a few pages dedicated to the subject.

THAT is one book that will come in handy in a crisis! :)

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Cool! I'll have to look into getting that book. I have Rikki Carroll's Cheesemaking. It has a lot of recipes, but seems to be missing many key details, so I fumble through. Much of what is out there is more commercially oriented, it seems. But it is fun. I want to try a mold-ripened cheese soon.

I ended up buying two more big stock pots, and boy, did that make a difference in time and frustration. My 5-gallon pot from Target fits, just barely, inside my big pressure canner pot to make a double boiler. It gives me some room to comfortably make a four-gallon batch. It takes the same time as a 2 gallon batch, but it is actually easier to hold it at the right temperature for the ripening, etc. I just have a harder time if it gets too hot, getting it cooled down again. I'm learning when I have to pay more attention and when I can run downstairs to do another load of laundry!

Three more items that made a HUGE difference for me....a gigantic skimmer from a restaurant supply place to stir with, it is a round flat spoon with holes in it. A long knife with a blade that easily reaches to the bottom of the pot without the handle going into the curd is a must for cutting the curds. And splurge on a battery-operated electronic timer with an alarm that you can set for a certain temperature. I got it at Target, it is meant to put into a roast and has a heat-resistant cable that goes into the oven. It works great, since I can put the sensor into the milk and still put the cover on the pot. Then I can come here to catch up while the milk is heating up!

Everything should be decent stainless steel. The cheesemaking process is an acidic one, and aluminum must be avoided.

It is raining here, so I will get you my cheese press pics later. All you will need is some scraps of wood, a sturdy hinge (needs to support more than 50 lbs), some screws and a cheese mold. I used "bain marie" pots in plastic from the same restaurant supply place and made a two pound and a four pound mold, drilled holes in one of each size, and used another of each size as a follower. Cost $7-8 for all four containers, two good molds.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Bee - keep an eye on eBay as well.

I bought Lehman's Best Cheese press for $40 on eBay a few years ago - with extra stuff included!

It has been sitting because I have not had a source of fresh milk - until Tuesday!

Made a mozzarella and a lemon thyme ricotta just yesterday. Next week I'll try another warm up cheese then on to the cheddars! I am pretty excited about my new learning experience.

Many years ago - before I had the cheese press I made a couple of farmer cheeses with some Amish cow's milk. But I have forgotten much of what I learned back then through non use.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Bee your find got me thinking about butter churns. I did an e bay search and there were a gazillion of those Daisy hand crank in a jar type. Have you ever used one? I was thinking of acquiring a little one just to have on hand. Not sure if it would be worth it though.

Some got really expensive, I think more as an antique value. Others were somewhat reasonable. What do you think?? g

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
$40 farmfresh!!! Wow! I would have grabbed that one, too! Mine is ugly and sits on the counter in full view a lot. I don't think about Ebay much, I tried to buy something there just once and had a terrible experience. Then the seller went and rated me as a bad buyer. Not going there much, I didn't notice it in time to do anything about it. Yeesh. Great buy for you, though!

eta: I am WAY jealous the you made a mozzarella and it worked!!! I can't get mine to stretch, only one out of five batches stretched. Could be the ph of the newly-freshened goat's milk, or the fact that my milk is not just milked fresh because I only have one little goat so I have to save up the milk in the fridge until I have enough. Just guessing. Do you know why it might be?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
FF and Tanks....good thought! Everytime I check Ebay, those types of things seem too expensive for my budget but I will definitely be keeping a closer eye on things from now on!

Tanks, I tried to get one of those at an auction about 3 years ago and the cheapest one went for $250 !

What was the typical price on ebay for the Daisy's?