MEAT BIRDS THREAD ~Plans, pics, pens, pluckers, processing! GRAPHIC!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
So far, total cost of materials to build one hoop style coop is $160.00. If one wants to predator-proof it, it would take an additional cost of finer gauge wire overlay and for a wired bottom to the whole coop. I don't need this extra precaution due to the dog, so my overlay to keep chickens in the coop will be a very cheap solution of plastic deer netting zip tied to the cattle panels.

Anyway you slice it, $160 for an 8ft. x 10ft. lightweight but durable, portable coop is pretty sweet! :D Not to mention one that can be constructed by a single woman and very little power tools. I'll be using a hammer, and a sawsall for cutting the cattle panels.

ETA: A little side note regarding nipple watering systems for chickens. I priced them and was going to make my own...sort of jimmy rig a system from parts I found here and there. Then I priced buying the nipples at poultry supply places on line(Farmtek and such) and found that a 4 pk. of nipples would cost me $22 w/shipping!

Then I checked Amazon(LOVE that place!!!)...a 5 pk/$9.25 and FREE shipping. The system I had bought parts for and was going to cause me much trouble to hobble together would have cost me over $18.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I'll be posting pics and plan on taking detailed pics as I go along as this will be added to my webpage and my book. I'll post them as I go along so as to not crowd one post with too many pics. I even took a pic of how the materials fit onto a pickup truck! :p My mother couldn't understand just how to fit 16 ft. panels on an 8ft. bed, so she got a real quick education. :D

5_coop_materials.jpg

Rode like a dream, no shake, no sound....just solid transport.

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
ETA: A little side note regarding nipple watering systems for chickens. I priced them and was going to make my own...sort of jimmy rig a system from parts I found here and there. Then I priced buying the nipples at poultry supply places on line(Farmtek and such) and found that a 4 pk. of nipples would cost me $22 w/shipping!

Then I checked Amazon(LOVE that place!!!)...a 5 pk/$9.25 and FREE shipping. The system I had bought parts for and was going to cause me much trouble to hobble together would have cost me over $18.
This sounds like a great idea! How do you go about rigging this kind of system up.

CheerioLounge

Dessert Dreamer
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
I'll be posting pics and plan on taking detailed pics as I go along as this will be added to my webpage and my book. I'll post them as I go along so as to not crowd one post with too many pics. I even took a pic of how the materials fit onto a pickup truck! :p My mother couldn't understand just how to fit 16 ft. panels on an 8ft. bed, so she got a real quick education. :D

http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/uploads/5_coop_materials.jpg

Rode like a dream, no shake, no sound....just solid transport.
Love that pic!! Be careful opening that! Boooiiinng!!! ;) I've heard folks describe loading cattle panels like that, but never seen it! :lol:

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
There are many ways to do it...some screw these nipples into PVC pipe and attach fitting to their garden hose for a fresh, continual water system. Some just screw these nipples into 5 gal. buckets or other receptacles for a fresher and more water saving delivery system. You just use a 9mm drill bit to drill a hole and the nipple just screws into it, tightening the nipple/seal as it goes.

Let me see if I can find a good pic of the systems I've found....

Here's one that uses the PVC style:

http://concrete2chickens.blogspot.com/2011/07/poultry-watering-system.html

DWA_8793.JPG

Here's one that uses a bucket but they have added plumber's tape and caulk to the nipple threads:

http://scratchcradle.wordpress.com/2011/06/09/chicken-nipple-bucket-waterer/

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
There are many ways to do it...some screw these nipples into PVC pipe and attach fitting to their garden hose for a fresh, continual water system. Some just screw these nipples into 5 gal. buckets or other receptacles for a fresher and more water saving delivery system. You just use a 9mm drill bit to drill a hole and the nipple just screws into it, tightening the nipple/seal as it goes.

Let me see if I can find a good pic of the systems I've found....

Here's one that uses the PVC style:

http://concrete2chickens.blogspot.com/2011/07/poultry-watering-system.html

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-H52RIb_q0aM/Tc81Bdq4XmI/AAAAAAAABJM/BE1E-Zu0-Q8/s400/DWA_8793.JPG

Here's one that uses a bucket but they have added plumber's tape and caulk to the nipple threads:

http://scratchcradle.wordpress.com/2011/06/09/chicken-nipple-bucket-waterer/
I can do that! I just have to figure out what system I want.

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thats how I've always hauled them too! Now I have a question! What is the difference between fermenting and soaking? I have soaked corn overnight to soften it. Is that basically the same thing? Can the water then be reused without getting any bad beasties in it? I can see how corn water would support the growth of beasties that would cause fermentation, so how long would it have to sit?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
From the studies I read it really depended on the warmth, of course, of where you are fermenting your grains, what grains you were using, if you were using an accelerator like yeast, etc. ...somewhere in this article I found it but it goes on and on and on....

http://www.ajol.info/index.php/ajb/article/viewFile/60378/48610

The length of steeping feed ingredients, the type of feed
substrates and fermentation conditions influence the
quality of the fermentation product. Steeping time has
been related to its effects on the activity of endogenous
enzymes and the breakdown of anti-nutrients within the
grain. According to Choct et al. (2004a) the effects on
growth and feed intake for weaner pigs resulting from
steeping of feed for 15 h might be related to the release
and activation of endogenous enzymes in the grain. The
activation of these enzyme systems within the grain can

act on cell wall structures in a similar way to exogenous
feed enzymes (Choct et al., 2004b). In reviewing the
effect of steeping in liquid feeding systems, Brooks et al.
(1996) indicated that phytases that were naturally present
in the pericarp of some grains (like cereals) could be
activated by soaking. They also stated that soaking feed
for 8 - 16 h before feeding increased the bioavailability of
phosphorus, calcium, magnesium and copper. In another

study (Lyberg et al., 2008), the phytase activity for a
I can't imagine actual fermentation happening that quick but I know that it can happen in the bowel of the animal in that short of time...so I guess it depends on how fermented you want your grains. I'm going to play around and do more research on what is optimal for feeding of poultry.

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That's what threw me off. I thought in order to ferment it took a couple of days. Thanks for the link!