MEAT BIRDS THREAD ~Plans, pics, pens, pluckers, processing! GRAPHIC!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Finally figured out how to get a video of these birds. Sorry about how shaky and unprofessional this is but I did it with a regular digital camera and I've never really done something like that before. I'm not much of a narrator! :p These birds are 5 wks old and this was taken today at around 9:30 am and it was already 80 degrees in the shade but it got up to 91...and these birds just kept foraging!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0B6YMcRHWvo&feature=youtu.be

Another video of my fermented feed setup...another quite horrid video but you can get the picture of how I do it at least. The sound affects just may make you wanna go pee! :D
Today I built them a roosting platform as high as the water bucket in hopes they would stop roosting on my water bucket...it didn't work. They roosted on the platform AND the water bucket. :he
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwXyJFL-IvI&feature=youtu.be

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Love the videos! Wow they realy moved when they found out the gate was open didn't they?

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
First of Bee the videos are great. Your place is just beautiful and the woods look like heaven!!! You sound nothing like I imagined after all these years. Now I know I will hear your voice every time I read a post. :D

The set up you have for the cx is great. Those little buggers are fast and sure do look healthy.

So, when I raised my Freedom Rangers I soaked grains for them as well. I also used feed but didn't soak that. Could you tell me what makes your grains "fermented". Are you adding ACV while they soak? How long do they soak for?

Sorry if this has been covered but I must of missed it.

g

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
My voice has changed over the years and I can't say I really like the change...sounds too mannish for my taste. I think I just hit the "I really don't care" stage of my life when I just talk how it comes natural and I guess natural nowadays means to sound a little less feminine. Not my intention, I swear! :p

I did use some ACV to jumpstart this fermentation but you really wouldn't have to.....any grain will ferment if left to soak with access to some air. Depends on how warm the surroundings are as to how long it takes to ferment. Then I just keep the same ferment...called back-slopping...to charge the next water and grains I add. The lower bucket holds fluid that never gets depleted and when added to, it rises above the grain to speed up fermentation that night. The studies show that one can get the level of fermentation that is needed in 8-15 hours but others say it's better if fermented for 14 days....but who can wait that long? Not me. Some of the grain in the bottom of the bucket is probably older than 14 days, as it is added to instead of all used up before adding more feed to the bucket.

This place isn't mine...it's Mom's. This is where she has lived for the past 20 years now and she maintains this lawn and the cabin attached to the front of the trailer(you couldn't see that in the video) by herself. The inside of this trailer seems just like new, she's that particular with her things.

Snowhunter

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Bee, THANK YOU for sharing a little slice of heaven with us! Your Moms place is absolutely beautiful!

You have really done a terrific job with the CX. They had me laffin when you opened the door and let them out :gig then again with the open gate section for them to roam around :gig

I have a question.. you think lacto-fermentation would be another alternative with the grains? Say, soaking them with the addition of some whey leftover from making mozz?? I wanna go ahead and give this a shot with my CX and the 100 chicks in the big coop and with my Dorkings.

I do need more buckets... the Home Depot buckets are so cheaply done.. I am gonna get some TSC buckets.. the lids are better and the plastic doesn't seem as temp sensitive

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
The studies I've read on fermentation have them using whey in one of their experiments, so I don't see why not. Whey is rich in protein and has been used for centuries in livestock feeding. My granny used to feed it to her chickens and hogs.

Those blue buckets you see are Walmart buckets and seem sturdy enough for the job.

Gina? What did you think I sounded like? Just curious..... :pop

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
So funny! :lol: Sweet I can be but only my patients would say so, I imagine~with them my voice is soft and my ways are pretty tender. Mostly the people I know in the real world see me as tough, practical and funny/jolly if they like me...and just plain weird, if they do not. :D

Farmfresh said she had expected WAY more twang and said she sounds more like a hillbilly than do I, so I didn't know what everyone expected. I guess that is so with everything on this type of social group...I picture you as a pretty brunette with golden skin and feminine ways, long legs and slender hands. Come to think about it, I picture most people I know on here that I really like as attractive with pleasant faces and voices~wonder why that is? :hu

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
:D

I think we have very positive images of each other on the board. Most likely because our impressions are made by reading about the person and their behaviors in print. Kind of the exact opposite of "judging a book by its cover". We learn whats inside first.

I hope that didn't come off to mushy!!

Anyways, the birds look great.

g

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I feel the same way. I belive I have found not only kindered spirits but friends here.