Meat chicken how-to?

Gypsi

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I can't find the search box on here. I have non-laying production reds. One is so heavily molting I could probably pluck her in 2 minutes completely clean. It is winter. I have a couple of choices, I can make her a sweater, Or I can make chicken soup, and freeze the rest. I do not have a killing cone, guessing hang bird by feet to let it bleed out, after that it should rest in the refrigerator before cleaning up more? Can anyone post a link to a simple step by step guide. This might be on byc but there are some really tenderhearted and very sweet people over there. The one I am considering culling is molting midwinter, The flock has decided she can only eat after they finish, and I am not putting a sweater on her unless I "chicken out". I am not having a house-chicken. She is not ill, just molting, but she will be ill soon, and groceries are pricey this year. HELP

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
1 bleed.
2 pluck.
3 eviscerate.
4 refridgerate.

Gypsi

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thank you. I have to do this sneaky, probably tonight, while there are NO grandchildren here.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Here is my method:

1. Remove head/slit throat.
2. Let bird bleed.
3. Begin Skining or pluck in boiling water.
4. Remove all non necessaires, guts and intestines, without puncturing any organs.
5. Wash meat/carcass

Gypsi

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm guessing not puncturing organs is quite important?

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Gypsi said:
I'm guessing not puncturing organs is quite important?
Yes very, not even the crop. The biles and juices in them will ruin the meat........

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
On BYC go to the meat bird section and there are lots of instructions for processing birds.

Latest posts