Meat chicken how-to?

Gypsi

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I put deep straw in the back corner of the coop in case she wants it, when I topped off the nest boxes, but so far she is still roosting. (I am obviously a new-ish chickenkeeper, this is my first molt.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Gypsi said:
I put deep straw in the back corner of the coop in case she wants it, when I topped off the nest boxes, but so far she is still roosting. (I am obviously a new-ish chickenkeeper, this is my first molt.
:) We all started in the same place...the beginning ;) I think she'll be just fine.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I molt daily...and my feathers are coming back in grey....er...I think they call that "blue" in the chicken world. :p

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
I molt daily...and my feathers are coming back in grey....er...I think they call that "blue" in the chicken world. :p
:lol:

Gypsi

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well she made it through the winter - all of my production reds did, they all lost feathers and grew new ones. I wormed them at the end of the year and threw out what eggs there were for a couple of weeks. But they lay an egg or two a week. (the reds. Actually the BR too.)
And one of the reds is still laying very soft shelled eggs. Add to that the fact that they aren't letting my Americaunas eat properly unless I turn them all loose so they can separate and the young birds eat last, I'm worried that my new hens won't lay properly for malnutrition.

My truck (the one I bought from my daughter) is in the shop. And today is the last day for my reds. I have Black Australorps on order soon, with a friend who needs many more birds, having more room. I'm pruning trees and cutting up firewood and doing house projects since I've got no wheels. And the Americaunas were in the run having a snack while the big girls were loose, so, guess I'm going to do some chicken culling & skinning. My friend said something about an oil gland near where the tail feathers are rooted, to take care to remove it? But the pics on this thread don't cover that.

Anyway, I searched and lo and behold found the thread I started. Life is good.

SuburbanFarmChic

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
You can also save up the egg shells, grind them in a coffee grinder (I have one just for this purpose because you won't want to put coffee in it after) and then top dress the egg shells back to the chickens. I also use it as a calcium supplement for my goats.