Meat chicken how-to?

Gypsi

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I did that, giant bowl of eggshells in the coop too. I offered calcium, I thought about dosing them with citrical. They are production reds. An egg a day when young, almost no egg output after 18 months.

Kept the best looking one, nicest feathers, brightest comb. I can't afford the space for non-producers. But I am fond of my little red hens.
Learned to sharpen a knife in hurry today. I did 3, because this is not fun, the group wasn't letting my Americauna's eat, and I just wanted to get them over with. But the best looking one can hang out with the BR and the Americaunas, we'll see if they improve as a group now.

Gypsi

Gypsi

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
frantically hunting for a skinning pic - help?

Gypsi

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wow, that was one of the most interesting things I have ever done.

All 3 had widespread pelvic bones indicating they were laying at this time.

1 of the 3 hens had huge amounts of fat along her rear, she was full of egg yolks in varying stages of development, probably was laying normally, and hogging most of the food. Liver was small, heart normal.

Next hen, not so much fat, except her heart was totally encased in yellow fat, a tough layer of it, she was not full of egg yolks, and I would assume not only wasn't laying often, she wasn't long for this world.

3rd hen, probably would have laid an egg tomorrow, again quite a bit of body fat, healthy heart, liver larger and a bit of fat attached to it, but otherwise pretty normal. (in my non-expert opinion.)

Thank you for a safe place to write this without grossing my kids out on Facebook.

Gypsi