Meat Grinder Recommendations

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Long story short, looking to purchase a meat grinder. Have looked online at Lehman's and Cabela's. I don't have a hard and fast budget, want something I can pass on to one of the kids.

The options are overwhelming

We often see expensive cuts of beef on sale that would make great ground beef. Plus, would prefer to manage the fat content.

Any recommendations or sage wisdom on selection?

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I bought a cheap Oster plastic made meat grinder some 35+ years ago for $60. I still use it. I have loaned it out, it still runs so I keep using it. My only complaint is it is small and it takes FOREVER to get a large amount of meat ground.

Now that I know better, I would get a metal grinder with a larger capacity to make the work easier and go faster.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
DH has burned out 3 of the $60 - $100 meat grinders. They're loud and slow. He finally bought a sturdy one this year (after another one broke). It's amazingly heavy duty and super quiet. But pricey, $300ish. I'll take a pic of the package for you if you're interested. My kids (ages 5 and 13) are already discussing who will inherit it. :gig

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
DH has burned out 3 of the $60 - $100 meat grinders. They're loud and slow. He finally bought a sturdy one this year (after another one broke). It's amazingly heavy duty and super quiet. But pricey, $300ish. I'll take a pic of the package for you if you're interested. My kids (ages 5 and 13) are already discussing who will inherit it. :gig
Yes, please

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
20201208_094551.jpg

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've also gone through several of the 99 dollar models. I finally bit the bullet earlier this year and purchased from Cabela's. My neighbor, who is a big hunter, and grinds tons of meat every year recommended a Cabela model. He has the BIG one ($499) that is amazing. I've used it and it's fantastic - except for one thing. It weighs 64 lbs! For him, a big strapping guy, it's perfect. It's more than much I want to lug around and lift upon the table and back to the storage shelf. So, I went with a smaller Cabela's model that's 'only' 44 lbs and was considerably less pricey at $349.
I've used it several times now and it's never bogged down or even acted like it was straining. I'm completely happy with it: Cabela's Carnivore 1/2 HP Commercial-Grade Meat Grinder | Cabela's

Happy Shopping!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'll make you all feel better ☺ I have a LEM 32 MANUAL. Builds big muscles fast. And besides I usually double grind meat because i like to make my life more difficult.

I also manually gring my malts for beer and also manually shell and crack my own corn.
What do you use to shell and crack the corn?

Latest posts