Medical Insurance???

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Oh, FC! I'm sorry, hon, I wasn't trying to debate you or anything....just throwing out a question! :hugs

Just wondering if anyone else is asking themselves the same question.

Is anyone else getting the feeling that we are being manipulated by the medical field and the drug companies, in a moment of extreme stress and fear, to abide by the recommended treatments?

I've been doing some interesting reading over the years about the fungal/cancer link and have begun to believe that~ in the interest of gaining trillions of dollars per year on treating the diagnosis of cancer~ we are being somewhat led astray.

As our medical insurance rates are so high due to high treatment costs, this bears looking at, I believe.

Reaction score
Wifezilla

I heard a woman on Ed Schultz yesterday that said she had a health savings plan though Blue Cross. It cost her and her husband 235 a month and basically was health insurance with a 10,000 co-pay. Being managed by Blue Cross they got all the same network pricing so didn't have to pay 12$ for an Advil. They were also entitle to free physicals once year and pap smears, mammograms, colonoscopies and all the preventative stuff you get through insurance for free depending on age and sex. They had no prescription coverage but were in good health and didn't need it. It sounded pretty good for someone that's healthy.

As for cancer. If I wasn't insured I would start making my will.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Oh, FC! I'm sorry, hon, I wasn't trying to debate you or anything....just throwing out a question! :hugs

Just wondering if anyone else is asking themselves the same question.

Is anyone else getting the feeling that we are being manipulated by the medical field and the drug companies, in a moment of extreme stress and fear, to abide by the recommended treatments?

I've been doing some interesting reading over the years about the fungal/cancer link and have begun to believe that~ in the interest of gaining trillions of dollars per year on treating the diagnosis of cancer~ we are being somewhat led astray.

As our medical insurance rates are so high due to high treatment costs, this bears looking at, I believe.
oh I know Bee
I just can't get into this medical crap too deep.....just me literally. not a subject I like to chat about for some reason...LOL

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I understand! As I am as deep in it as a snake in a manure pit, I can't seem to avoid all the fall-out of my own profession! :p

I get to see the grimey underbelly of the medical field and all the underhanded motives that the general public doesn't get to see and I have to ask myself and others, do any of you ever think about this money-making machine?

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Farmerchick, that was the point I was trying to make.
Insurance for me is not a scam either.
I get my money's worth and making payments all these years is like money in a health savings account, only I take alot more out of it than I put in.
You can go years and years and only need it for little things here and there and then you can end up with something major.

I like the peace of mind knowing that I don't have a bill when give I birth or one of my kids needs something important medically. I just don't need the worry of medical bills while we have medical issues
Thats peace of mind to me.

Wifezilla, as far as someone else getting ripped off. Thats off base.
I have been paying my fair share of insurance for years, including the times during layoff and we have to carry COBRA and our insurance payments have been over a thousand dollars a month.
For the years that we never had to use it, someone else did.
I do not have a problem with that and don't feel ripped off.
That is what the word insurance means, its just insurance that IF you need medical care you will be covered.
If I don't someone else is free to use that money.
I know this going into it and that is the way insurance works.
No one says hey you get your money back if you don't need it.
If someone buys medical insurance their entire lives but never sets foot in a doctor's office, they have spent thousands of dollars by their own choosing, now their money is in the pool for anyone else to use.
How is it they got ripped off??
If you spend thousands on lottery tickets and don't win is the lottery ripping you off?
Your money goes into a pot and the winner gets the whole pot, including the money you spent on your tickets.
Is that winner getting ripping you off? Or is that a chance you took and knew that if you didn't win someone else would benefit?
The same thing with car insurance. I don't feel ripped off by that either. Its there IF I need it and if I don't someone else will.
Now when the last few years where we have needed it, it is paying off. Thats the way it works, I paid into it for years through our private insurance and didn't need to use it much, now the last few years I have. So who am I ripping off? The people who used the insurance that I paid into for years and didn't need much?
Were they ripping me off when I paid my monthly premium but only need to go to the doctor once all year but maybe they needed life saving surgery?
I still don't feel ripped off, glad that I could help someone.
There are programs through our state for people on sliding scales etc. I am not one of them.
We have private insurance and I gladly pay it. That doesn't mean anyone else has to.
The question here was whether people chose to buy their medical insurance and I answered that I did and stated my reasons for doing so.
If you read my post the last paragraph about my state, I wrote that I don't know of any colleges that allow you to not have insurance. This whole paragraph refers to my state. There was no discussion of yours or anyone elses.
You may hate insurance but you can't get upset because others are supportive of the concept.
As I stated in my previous post, insurance might not be the answer for everyone, but it is for me.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Good post Simple
I sure understand how you feel!!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
I understand! As I am as deep in it as a snake in a manure pit, I can't seem to avoid all the fall-out of my own profession! :p

I get to see the grimey underbelly of the medical field and all the underhanded motives that the general public doesn't get to see and I have to ask myself and others, do any of you ever think about this money-making machine?
Yea I guess you can say that about all fields of work or business out there..LOL---you see it first hand.

Reaction score
If you aren't paying for the services you get, someone else is. When you make out, someone else gets ripped off. That's how insurance works.

Not really. The other people that have insurance with the same carrier are getting the same coverage. If there are an excessive amount of claims in the group the rates will go up. At my company, people that are in better health get the plan that has a higher deductible and doesn't pay for scrips. Even if you don't do that you still have the same coverage and are covered if you have a big medical issue.

People that don't get bills paid by their insurance are usually those that don't follow coverage requirements. They go to out of network providers and have to pay a higher co-pay. A lot of people don't understand their policy and don't pay attention till they need it.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
that is so true Big Daddy

for Tony we followed the line of network that is required. We had choices of so many Drs. etc. We weren't trapped at all in our choices of how to handle his needs.

But it is buyer beware out there is you are shopping your own policy. You get what you pay for like anything in this life!! So researching your policy is needed...so many don't.