Meet Pearl, New Horse

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
She has gained a LOT of weight, but still a bit thin for my taste. I don't know if she will ever totally recover from such starving. She has some muscle structure now where there was none before. She is a dream to ride and likes to go.

elwood

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wow. So awesome you saved her. I went on facebook and looked at those pages. Wow it hurt to see animals like that being sent to slaughter. A 4 year old gelding broke to ride really! I wish i could save one or all but cant right now

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
As long as people, both backyard, big time registered, and every type of breeder in between, keeps breeding more that what the market can absorb, horses will keep going to slaughter. I am not against slaughter, there needs to be a place for horse slaughter. Many sick, lame, old and sometimes just downright crazy and dangerous horses go to slaughter. The sad part is young yearlings, well trained 4-12 year olds, with a lot to offer, are unwanted. They go to auction, where nobody bids on them except the kill buyers.

Closing the slaughter houses in the US did nothing to stop horse slaughter, it only made it worse. Horses are shipped to Canada or Mexico. It should be brought back to the US and regulated, with on site inspectors.

Facebook drove most of the kill pen sites off, trying to be humane I suppose. In reality, FB shut down the only lifeline many of those horses had to escape slaughter. Way to go sh!t for brains zuckerberg.

Rant over.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I sure am glad that Pearl is a calm horse. Whether that is from age, been there done that, or just her personality, where ever it came from, I am glad. When we have our two little grand daughters, ages 3 and 4 (almost 5) they go with me to feed the horses. they pet the horses and chatter incessantly. I give them safety cautions and am trying to teach them proper behavior. I was setting out some square bales yesterday, both of them were petting Pearl. I told them to stand at her shoulder to pet her.

I turned around and two giggling girls said "We walked under her tummy!"

Before I could react, the 3 year old said "Watch!" and she took off. I barely got NO out of my mouth and it was done. She charged at Pearl from 5 or 6 feet away and scooted under Pearl's belly shrieking with delight.

Pearl startled, ears laid back, hind foot raised and just as quickly, she realized it was a small child and dropped her foot, ears forward and continued eating her feed.

Thank you Dear Lord for a good horse.