Member Titles

ChickaD

Country Living
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
annmarie said:
Or even getting rid of Farm in the Suburbs and replacing it with "Yard Farmer" or "Making Do with an Acre or Two" or something like that?
I like Making Do with an Acre or Two! That is really cute!!
I agree and it just happens to fit me perfectly! :D

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
My title needs to be something along the lines

"three acre farmer" cause thats all we've got. :lol:

Or more acurite: Almost farming. :lol:

ChickaD

Country Living
Reaction score
These are great! I'd think the main idea is to make the most of what each of us has. A "rating system" method of member titles makes me a bit uneasy...I'd guess most of us can do some things better yet need some help in other areas. Well, that describes me, anyway.

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
the simple life said:
I feel like the member titles that people are tossing around need to be well thought out.
I think they will upset some people.
Everyone here is trying to become more self sufficient and some people who join may not want to be labeled with some title at the bottom of the totem pole.
What if they can only do so much in terms of self suffiency due to some kind of limitations but are happy with what they have been trying to accomplish and then they get stuck with some title that may be insulting to them.
They might think they are doing great and be proud of themselves then they join here and get labled with something like greenhorn or whatever else is being tossed about.
We may think its funny and its just a stepping stone that will change, but maybe thats where they will always be.
I don't want this to be some kind of competition either.
I just think that should be kept in the back of everyone's mind when titles are being discussed.
We do not want to alienate anyone.
Even though I got caught up in the excitement of titles I do agree.

We should ask ourselves what are the purposes of titles?
Are they to acknowledge numbers of posts? If so then how is a member with a large number of posts looked at? Are they considered an expert who's posts are considered authoritative?

Are titles to bring attention to something unique about a member? What happens if someone doesn't get a unique title? Do they feel left out?

Are titles to acknowledge a level of self sufficiency? How is that determined?

I like the idea of titles but I really don't have a good idea of how to use them. This is a young and growing forum. I'm sure we will go through growing pains.

Just thinking out loud.

ChickaD

Country Living
Reaction score
Extremely well-put, dacjohns! You got my uneasy feeling about a rating system put into words.

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Really, the most generic reason for titles is to indicate the number of posts - that's how it's handled in every forum I've seen on the internet. People who are 'regulars' and become well-known to each other end up with special titles (I'm the Teapot Underground on BYC due to the loss of the teapot icon when they were doing some rearranging and comments I made). I jokingly gave Pat one, couldn't resist, and then another one to Aly. But honestly, we need to think of some good titles based on post count solely, or just not bother, and return everyone to Member.

City Slicker
Starting Out
Yard Farmer
Country Living
Hobby Farmer
Farming for a Living
Doing it Old School
Sufficient Life

That was the generic list I thought would work. Discussion...

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Ok, so if you want to go back to the idea of title indicating post count (the idea of everybody picking their own from a menu is fun and possibly useful but I can absolutely see where it would be an administrative, i.e. moderatorial, nightmare!) then I will go back to my very first suggestion of either not doing it at all (after all, right under the title it does display how many posts you've made!), or doing it in some way that does NOT imply degrees of self-sufficiency. Either a non-heirarchical alphabetic list of i-dunno-what, or some heirarchy relating to talkativeness, or anything cleverer that people can think of.

I would be unhappy with a scheme where number of posts is in any way equated to self-sufficient-ness or style of living.

Just my vote,

Pat

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
number of posts made means nothing to me

so linking titles to posts means nothing to me...lol

so lets just do a generic list like the one Reinbeau recommended and the person can choose what best fits them.

for me

Farming for a Living is perfect.

So we need degrees of how people live---what their circumstances are----no wanna-be titles.....cause we are all wanna-be SS

so City Slicker gone SS

etc.

I think Reinbeaus generic list of titles is fine. what more could we ask, it works, it doesn't alienate newbies to SS etc. It just means pick what title you are falling into.

generic is best. if we try to be too specific it won't work

specific is not for everyone.

so reinbeaus is

City Slicker
Starting Out
Yard Farmer
Country Living
Hobby Farmer
Farming for a Living
Doing it Old School
Sufficient Life
Animal Lover
Orchard and Gardens
Preserving Food Member

So I added 3 areas...animals, food and orchards.

just rambling...hope it helps?

AND we are going overboard. this is a fun thread...but for reality one topic has to cover what a person's situation is.....so I think most are covered?

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Reinbeau said "But honestly, we need to think of some good titles based on post count solely, or just not bother" (my italics not hers)...

The idea of everyone picks their own is cute but think about being the moderator who has to manually do every single darn one of them. Possibly just a long hard afternoons work and then an hour a week thereafter right now when the site still has few members, but if it grows....

Pat