Messybun’s journal

Messybun

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Trip to the feedstore today. Because I’ve had so many problems with weevils and other pests I’m thinking about putting my feed in plastic 55 gallon drums. Not sure how many will fit or what. But, maybe it will keep the safe from the bugs, they are watertight. I have one or two lying around. We’ll see.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Trip to the feedstore today. Because I’ve had so many problems with weevils and other pests I’m thinking about putting my feed in plastic 55 gallon drums. Not sure how many will fit or what. But, maybe it will keep the safe from the bugs, they are watertight. I have one or two lying around. We’ll see.
we use metal garbage cans. they seal pretty good.

Messybun

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Interesting. I’ve had feed mold pretty quickly in my metal trash can, the condensation is bad, but it was on the uncovered porch. But, that very well may be different in the metal shipping container.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
We use a metal drum with a plywood lid for open feed bags. If a bag sits in there too long in summer, it will get moldy. High humidity + condensation + time. It usually only happens when we switch from grain-feeding ewes during early lactation to pasture and an open bag sits in there all summer long. We find it the next winter when we start giving ewes a grain ration during pregnancy. oops.

We stores sealed bags on a pallet, stacked loosely for ventilation - and so my barn cat can get between the bags to discourage or kill rodents.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
it sounds like you can bring in a partial bag to the house where it isn't as humid and keep that until the next time you need it.

for something you're paying a lot of money for it might be worth setting aside some storage space inside and also consider dehumidifier if it gets so humid that it is rotting.

Messybun

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The weevils will invade my house big time. Ask me how I know:th That is why we keep feed outside. The metal shipping container has done alright on wet feed, I’ve only had one small bag go bad and it had managed to be directly on the ground over the winter. The rest have done fine, except for weevils. Which is why I’m thinking the barrel/trash can whatever you call it would fix the bugs but it wouldn’t be as much air flow as bags stacked on a pallet. Without the air flow it has now it might lead to mold. Because it’s raining now I might just have to put a little bit of feed in a trash can and watch carefully over the next few days. If I find it gets wet then I’ll just feed the wet feed to the animals, no harm done no loss. Expirement with the wood lids and things. I’ll see how it goes!
Oh, and I’ve taken to keeping a five gallon bucket with a lid on my porch for the chicks. Because my property isn’t big and the shipping container is close outside the gate I was just going in there every day or every other day for the feed.

Latest posts