Messybun’s journal

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I was given 6 bags of crimped corn full of weevils, at a feed store once. I gladly took it for the pigs. I poured the bags in a big plastic trash can, and poured diatomaceous earth in with it to mix it up good. The DE didn’t get ALL the weevils, but it sure cut down on numbers. Pigs didn’t care. I placed trash can next to pig pen, far, far away from feed shed.

So as you pour feed into cans, sprinkle DE in with it. Make sure to get FOOD GRADE and not the pol filter kind. Food grade is harmless to humans and animals. Pool filter type has been heated and will slice up intestines.

Messybun

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I was given 6 bags of crimped corn full of weevils, at a feed store once. I gladly took it for the pigs. I poured the bags in a big plastic trash can, and poured diatomaceous earth in with it to mix it up good. The DE didn’t get ALL the weevils, but it sure cut down on numbers. Pigs didn’t care. I placed trash can next to pig pen, far, far away from feed shed.

So as you pour feed into cans, sprinkle DE in with it. Make sure to get FOOD GRADE and not the pol filter kind. Food grade is harmless to humans and animals. Pool filter type has been heated and will slice up intestines.
That’s awesome! I have plenty of DE around. I use DE on the goats to get rid of mites and stuff and will occasionally add some to a chicken dust bath. So I have part of a 30lb bag of food grade and possibly more if I dig around.

Messybun

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I just want to brag on my awesome neighbor. I have two goats with some abscesses. Two on one and four on the other goat. Back, neck, jaw. Because of the way this year is going I’m going to send a sample into the state lab for CL, just in case. I asked my awesome neighbor and she’s going to help me get and pack the sample. She’s done this stuff before and I’m so glad to have the help! Make sure I do it right. Hopefully it’s nothing and I’m just overreacting.
Also, I started summer semester yesterday and it looks like it’s going to be a doozy. Three hard classes in two months!

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I just want to brag on my awesome neighbor. I have two goats with some abscesses. Two on one and four on the other goat. Back, neck, jaw. Because of the way this year is going I’m going to send a sample into the state lab for CL, just in case. I asked my awesome neighbor and she’s going to help me get and pack the sample. She’s done this stuff before and I’m so glad to have the help! Make sure I do it right. Hopefully it’s nothing and I’m just overreacting.
Also, I started summer semester yesterday and it looks like it’s going to be a doozy. Three hard classes in two months!
Summer classes are always a bit difficult since it is packed into such a short time.

Good luck!

Messybun

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Bad news, I was trying to get a blood test and between my neighbor, brother, and I none of us could get blood from any goat. I finally got a tiny bit, but it sprayed out as I put the lid on. There are also two more goats I found these little wounds/abcesses on and it seems like more on the first goat. They aren’t big abscesses, more like really thick scabs. Is it possible it’s from horse flies?
Thanks for the votes of confidence on school. I need it. It has not been a smooth start.

Messybun

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I hope you can get the blood tests, know anyone that is a nurse?

You go for it in school. You got this!
Unfortunately not locally. Give me a few years.
I’ve tried videos, maybe I’m just missing something really obvious. Like I’m not going close enough to the trachea or not deep enough. With my dead goat I got blood on stick four, so I thought I’d have a better shot now. Apparently not for my little pin cushions. Maybe that’s because he was boer cross and these guys are pygmy goats?
The lab does test puss samples, but there isn’t a lot of that in any of these abscesses and what’s there is kinda dry and hard. Not enough for a sample. I’ll call around more and see if anyone has pity/skills.
Y’all have a wonderful day.