Microwaves, how evil are they?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Although many of the arguments in both those snopes articles makes sense, there are major flaws in each one. Saying the FDA would make a fuss if plastic and microwaves were a problem for our health is an extremely flawed argument. And in the plant experiment one, they say that one reason for the results in the first, unscientific (I agree with that part) experiment is that the container that the water was microwaved in might have imparted toxins into the water.....um, that was one of the dangers, duh.

Although the proof may not be clear, it is not clear in either direction. I, for one, don't allow the FDA or the USDA to make decisions about my health and well-being. Or forwarded e-mails without links to the original, respected source. I always like to read the studies, too, as many, many studies are flawed.

Reaction score
freemotion said:
I, for one, don't allow the FDA or the USDA to make decisions about my health and well-being. Or forwarded e-mails without links to the original, respected source. I always like to read the studies, too, as many, many studies are flawed.
So true. Studies are just like statistics and polls. Garbage in garbage out.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Reviving an old thread.

My microwave just died, or its on its last legs!

I'm going to try do without it and see how it works for me, I normally use it to heat up my coffee, I make a big pot to last two days and then keep warming up by cups.

I just ordered a stainless steel kettle, to use on the stove or wood stove, and will boil and press my coffee to see how I handle that!

:D

Can't wait to have the extra counter space! :weee

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
WOOT!!! I have not used my microwave since I posted this thread! It was easy. I have a little stainless pot that I cook all my leftovers in and I use my tea pot everyday! (It heats water quite fast.)

You can do it!

My old microwave is one of those up high ones over the stove, so it makes a perfect bread box and also hides other things that I don't want guests to see.

:thumbsup

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
WOOT!!! I have not used my microwave since I posted this thread! It was easy. I have a little stainless pot that I cook all my leftovers in and I use my tea pot everyday! (It heats water quite fast.)

You can do it!

My old microwave is one of those up high ones over the stove, so it makes a perfect bread box and also hides other things that I don't want guests to see.

:thumbsup
I need something alot bigger to hide stuff! :gig (like my entire sewing room!) :gig

My hubby is going to be lost without the microwave, he already sent me a text asking if we need to go buy a new one! :lol:

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
:yuckyuck

Try it for a week, it took a bit of getting used to, like waiting (a whole minute!! Torture!) for my tea pot to whistle. :p

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
In lieu of microwaves, just get a large stackable bamboo steamer., and you can reheat a meal in the same time it would take you to nuke the food. Just put plate in steamer, steamer on pan. Buy more stacks, and you can reheat even more.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
That is a really good idea! I have one of those things in a box somewhere. You put your plate in the steamer? I never used it that way. I just set my food on the steamer itself.

adoptedbyachicken

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Get a good quality coffee carafe and your coffee will be hot all day, I love mine. Also since I'm a slow drinker I have a warmer plate made for a coffee cup. But honestly a insulated cup will do just as well, I just hate trying to find one that is not narrow based so I can't tip them over so easy.

I hate microwaved food, it's icky in texture, but I admit to doing it at work to heat food. For that reason I try to only take things that don't need heating. At home I do use it for coffee the next day sometimes or other days I throw the old stuff out and start new.