Milk Goat - crash course needed!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Nice stand!!! Gorgeous! (you sanded it? :p I am such a bad goat mommy!) Oh, and mess excused. When you have goats and such, something has to give. It is not the goats or the cheesemaking or the stall cleaning! It is the cleaning and organizing.... sigh....

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
It looks fantastic!!! :clap

My sheep milking progress is PAINFULLY slow. :/ I'm still waiting for my "baby-lamb-daddy" to grow up! I can't wait to be as far along as you!!

Congrats!!!!!!! :celebrate

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Oh Sally, just go out and buy a lactating ewe!!!! I don't know how you can stand it! I would go bonkers without a milky mamma!

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Tell DH Great job on the stand!

And yep, that's clumpy poo. Dixie had some as well, when we first brought her home. Cut down a bit on the veggies & fruits for a while, then gradually worked them back in and she was fine.

FF, I've seen people milk from behind while sitting on a chair, but I do prefer tucking my shoulder into my goat's side and leaning my head against her. She smells nice, is that weird? :lol:

Anyways, I find it pretty comfy.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, Sally, just get it over with! You know you want to! :D

I hope it is not too weird to like sniffing goats...... I inhale their scent every day, burying my nose in their sides. Especially the babies.... :love

Poor dh. I am always trying to get him to smell the animals.... :gig

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
noobiechickenlady said:
Tell DH Great job on the stand!

And yep, that's clumpy poo. Dixie had some as well, when we first brought her home. Cut down a bit on the veggies & fruits for a while, then gradually worked them back in and she was fine.
Naughty girl got out this morning and was happily eating the apple tree! :he

She escaped out the chicken hole, we cut a hole in the fence for the chickens and ducks etc. to hop in and out of their pasture area...

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yep... Sounds like she's feeling pretty good :p

There's a series of pictures (fiasco farm, I think!) of a goat wiggling through a tiny chicken sized hole. Escape artists! Mine found the only weak spot left in my fence and were happily eating my sweet potatoes Saturday morning. :he

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I had to keep adding boards to my coop's pop door to keep my boneless goats out of there....it got so small that The-Rooster-Formerly-Known-As-George had to struggle to get in and out! :rolleyes:

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
freemotion said:
I had to keep adding boards to my coop's pop door to keep my boneless goats out of there....it got so small that The-Rooster-Formerly-Known-As-George had to struggle to get in and out! :rolleyes:
:gig :gig

My other goat is a big fatty, and we've had no problem wiht him trying to squeeze his fat self out.

We'll have to fix it somehow, I'm thinking a long wooden box, one side open and pushed through the hole, with open side to the side, the chickens can turn corners pretty easily, but the goat won't be able to!