Milk Goat - crash course needed!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
H23, start getting Daisy on the stand and handle her udder daily, too. It will go a looooong way when you are ready to milk her. Ginger is a dream, and Peach and Plum will be (hopefully!), too.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
freemotion said:
H23, start getting Daisy on the stand and handle her udder daily, too. It will go a looooong way when you are ready to milk her. Ginger is a dream, and Peach and Plum will be (hopefully!), too.
She gets herself on the stand!! She taught Donki to jump up there. :cool: She hops right up there because she's already figured out that's where the good food is. We're at the point where she'll let me stroke her back and sides. I'm working toward her udder. She's a smart girl! When she first came she wouldn't come near me. DS won her over first. Now she'll come to me because she's got to at least check to see if I have raisins.... I'm telling you, these twins are piggies!! They're FAT.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It does indeed get easier! There have been several mornings (and evenings!) where I have pitched (okay, really, I threw it a few times) a dirty, mostly empty milk pan into the sink after it got kicked over or stepped in. Either by Dixie kicking, or Lucky (wether) coming to see what the heck I was doing under there. Thankfully not too many. I've also spilled milk all over myself while snatching it away from Dixie's hooves to keep her from spilling it. That was torture at the time, but now it's just spilled milk. :p I hate the loss of the milk, but I dont take it personally anymore :D

Does she like petting & ear scratching? Try having your hubby rub & scratch the sides of her face & neck while you milk. DH will do that for me if Dixie seems a bit extra twitchy for some reason.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
freemotion said:
I They need to be conditioned to letting any human milk them. They will still have their favorites. (Mya likes my husband better, the little traitor! Gives an extra pint when he milks!)
OMG Molly loves my hubby, she'll kick once or twice, but he can get way more milk than I can. She even turns her head all the way round to see who's back there :barnie

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
noobiechickenlady said:
Does she like petting & ear scratching? Try having your hubby rub & scratch the sides of her face & neck while you milk. DH will do that for me if Dixie seems a bit extra twitchy for some reason.
She seems to like it when the kids are messing around, yesterday they were out on the driveway - in front of Molly while I was milking, and they were blowing bubbles and jumping around like lunatics - I thought it would scare Molly, but every so often she'd stop eating to look up at them for a few minutes, the door at the back of the garage even blew shut and she didn't flinch - she's good about not getting flustered by activity around her and sometimes it takes her mind off whats going on.

She does love my hubby, very odd. She even walks slower with him, not all in a rush to take off and drag him behind her like she tries with me.