Milk Goat - crash course needed!

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
I let my son have a go at Milking this evening, just one quick time as molly was a bit kicky again.

Well my son (11 years old) giggled like a school girl when the milk squirted out, it was so funny to see his face light up like he'd performed some magic trick! :gig

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Mac and Cheese with goats milk for dinner! :drool

Funny how two mistakes can fix each other!

I added too much milk to the sauce, put in extra cheese to try make it thicken up some, I had not completely cooked the noodles, they were a little too "al dente" - but on standing in the sauce a little (while we did chores) they fixed each other and it was SO YUMMY!!!

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
Wildsky said:
Well my son (11 years old) giggled like a school girl when the milk squirted out, :gig
I wonder who he gets that from????? :D

Your mac and cheese sounds wonderful.

g
:lol: I didn't think of that. My giggling sometimes really annoys my poor long suffering husband! I start up at the WORST times! :lol:

My kids LOVE my mac and cheese, I think because I use so much dang cheese! My mother taught me how to make it, heck before I was a teen, its one of those things that weren't written down, but very easy to remember.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
If anyone knows where I can get a (cheap) hobble from please let me know, I just have to stop Molly kicking every five seconds.
:/

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
When we had a horse that kicked we used to make a "sideline" hobble. I think it would also work on your goat and all you need is a length of soft rope.

You start by making a double loop that will go over the neck and knot it with a square knot so the loop will not slip tighter and the knot falls just past the point of the shoulder on the far side of the animal. Next you take the long end of the rope and double loop it around the far side rear leg between the ankle bone and the hoof. The double loop here prevents them from pulling their foot out of the loop and also makes it easier on the leg. Then the end of the rope is brought up through the neck rope and tightened until the leg is held off of the ground and tied to itself with a quick release knot. An extra dally here keeps the knot from tightening to much to be easily pulled loose.

This hobble leaves the animal standing on three feet. If you milk from the unrestrained side she can't possibly kick without falling down.

I tried to find a pic or instructions & this is the best I could find. sidline hobble pg 44

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Another option is the typical goat hobble. It is basically two wide straps with strong velcro, attached by a short strip of something, and goes just above the hocks to pinch the achilles tendon tightly, preventing the doe from kicking. You can find a picture on Hoegger's or I think there is one on the Fias Co Farm site. I made one from scraps I had. I never used it, though. I figured out what I was doing to annoy Mya and she stopped kicking. For her is was about having food the entire time I'm doing anything to her udder, including washing and dipping. Also, she freaks if my hand or arm brushes against her hind leg at all. Silly goat. I made sure Ginger is not so sensitive. :rolleyes:

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Thanks ladies, I could have done with one yesterday, Molly got out, and must have been eating apple tree for a while before I saw her.
So by the time we were milking, she was full and didn't want to eat anything we gave her, so it was just kick kick kick and my hubby and I taking turns milking or holding legs, it was very frustrating.

I'm going to try this today:
http://www.glimmercroft.com/Hobbles.html

I have a few strips of velcro cut and ready to use this morning.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I was thinking about you while milking this morning, and one thing Mya taught me was to never put any downward pressure on the teats at all. Better yet is to actually hold your hand up against the udder while squeezing the teat. Like the baby does, except they bump, I'm talking about holding your fist up. Make sense? It helped a lot.

It is frustrating. Makes you wonder why so many other people (like me) talk about enjoying it....but I had tears in the beginning, trust me. It gets better.

The does have a strong instinct to only let their babies nurse, so that can apply to people, too. They need to be conditioned to letting any human milk them. They will still have their favorites. (Mya likes my husband better, the little traitor! Gives an extra pint when he milks!)

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Hang in there Wild. It does get better! I've had my mornings too. Daisy sneaks in and spills Donki's dish. Donki gets ticked and stomps. I'm getting faster so that helps. We're developing a routine of blocking the kids outside so that they can't bother Donki for her food. Problem is they're turning into little porkers so I don't want to give them too much food of their own. They're munching on hay when they know darn well Donki's got grain, alfalfa and BOSS in the barn!

Latest posts