Minor burns - What do you do?

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Since I am using a wood burner now for heat and am ridiculously clumsy/stupid/inattentive around the thing, I burn myself nearly daily when I feed it sticks and coal. Anyone with experience with a wood burner knows that thing gets so hot, your skin turns pure white where it gets you!

My go to for minor burns like this is running a bit of cold water over the affected area for about 10 seconds or so, to take the initial sting out and cool the burn down. After that I find the pain stops quick enough and it heals in a few days. I used to hold it on ice on and off for an hour or so afterwards, but found that seems to prolong the discomfort.

What do you all do to treat/comfort small burns?

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
DH is starting to get burns from the woodstove- it's been too long since he lived in a house with wood heat I guess. I suggested the welders gloves to him. Prevention is still better than cure, any day.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Take it from someone that used to make glass beads (we're talking 1500F molten glass). After the cold water or ice, try dabbing the burn with lavender essential oil. Works better than aloe or any other remedy. You can also use it for sunburns by adding a few drops to a sprayer with cool water; shake and spray.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh and the doctor prescribed a type of manuka honey to my mom to help her heal after her last trigger finger surgery. At bandage change she's have to apply a thin coat to the incision

TexasLisa

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
For those of you that have fire ants, we just found out if you put bleach water on the bite, the sting goes away.

I love these hints! Keep them coming please.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Vinegar works wonders for stinging nettle stings.

I accidently walked through a patch of it wearing shorts and sandals and the only way back was through the same patch. Knee down on both legs was excruciating. Poured vinegar slowly over both legs. Spent half an hour in the tub with that gallon but when I was done it wasn't bad on pain and the welts went away pretty quick.

Mom and Grandma had aloe plants for sunburns. We lived in a desert and everyone was always getting sunburns. Aloes were extremely popular.

We got light sunburns driving the two days to visit hubby's parents in Texas once after they moved there from W Virginia. The only one to ever have a sunburn in hubby's family was him when he was 10 and visiting Texas. Texas famiy used sunscreen but none was put on him. So that was his Mom's experience. She tried to put mayonnaise on us because that's what they did when hubby was 10. I refused and made a trip to town for aloe. 3 days later I was pretty much healed and he was still suffering even though mine was worse.

I told him you don't put oil on burns. It traps the heat in and makes it worse. He actually gave in to me on day 2 and used aloe when it became obvious what was working.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Same here. I have many scars from many mishaps. The only two that bothers me is from my second round of surgery when I first had cancer. One on my shoulder looks pretty bad and one on my neck. I noticed people staring at my neck when it shows, so I cover it up most of the time. I'm going to try and fade it with Bio Oil and see how it goes. But I'm mostly o.k. with them. I told my GP they are my "survivor tattoos" :p

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
My burn is basically healed up. It was white yesterday and today I can barely see it. I gave it a gentle rub and didn't feel anything hurting. Definitely doing the honey treatment from now on, it works!

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yah, some of his burns were second degree, if not third degree. Maybe the thick layer of honey helped to keep the flour from getting too deep into the burns.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I cry. And whine. :lol

@sumi, are you burning your hands or wrists? Welding gloves are awesome for loading the wood furnace!