Minor burns - What do you do?

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Manuka honey is amazing from what I heard, but you need to make sure you get the real thing. Apparently a lot of honey gets the label, but it's not from the source.

TexasLisa

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I can remember my grandmother was cooking pork chops and somehow the grease from the pan got her in the face. She had bad burns on her face. She soaked a washcloth in warm vinegar water and soaked her face 2-3 times a day. You couldn't even tell she had been burned.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I've used vinegar for sunburns as well...cools it off, gone the next day. No blistering or deep peeling either.

ACV is great on bee stings...soothes it, takes away the itch and swelling. I don't know how but it definitely works.

Another thing that works the same way and I don't know how either...ammonia.

Both are better than baking soda paste or tooth paste for stings or mosquito bites.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Amen to that! One old treatment was to put butter on burns but it traps that heat in like nothing else, making it hurt worse than ever.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have a scar on my inner arm just above my wrist from oil splashing on me while cooking when I was 14 or so. We did everything right other than going to the hospital. 2nd degree burn but it healed pretty quick. Aloe and bandage during the day and aloe and air at night. Mom says now that if she knew about the honey then she'd have used it on me and maybe it wouldn't look so much like a burn scar.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
But then he doesn't get to lick honey from around his burn! :D

I saw a gallon jug of aloe at the Walmart Pharmacy today for $13 and change....never saw such a large quantity of aloe in my life, so someone out there must be buying that stuff in bulk now for them to offer it in such large quantities. :th

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
last fall, my cousin was trying to fix a propane heater. At one point it sorta blew-up and he ended up with massive burns on his hands, arms and face. He knew that honey was good for burns, and he had just harvested his honey hives, so he applied honey to all his burns. They continued to hurt pretty bad, then he remembered that flour was supposed to take the "burn" out of a burn, so he applied copious amounts of flour to his burns. The "burning" was dramatically reduced and bearable, but at that point his wife decided that they were bad enough that he was taken to the emergency room. She said the faces on the medical staff when he walked into the ER was priceless. They spend alot of time cleaning his burns out and his wife had to change his dressings for about a week, but even his doctor said he couldn't believe how fast the burns healed and didn't leave a single scar.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
She said the faces on the medical staff when he walked into the ER was priceless.
I can imagine! lol

Honey really is fantastic. I am so glad I learned to use it on burns and wish I knew this years ago. I actually burnt myself pretty good on my finger the other night and immediately dabbed some honey on the area. It stopped burning within seconds and though it's still healing, it's not bothering me at all :)

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
On the rare occasion I burn myself that's pretty much all I do too. I pretty much never do that though- no woodstove here!