Minor burns - What do you do?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Amen to that! One old treatment was to put butter on burns but it traps that heat in like nothing else, making it hurt worse than ever.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have a scar on my inner arm just above my wrist from oil splashing on me while cooking when I was 14 or so. We did everything right other than going to the hospital. 2nd degree burn but it healed pretty quick. Aloe and bandage during the day and aloe and air at night. Mom says now that if she knew about the honey then she'd have used it on me and maybe it wouldn't look so much like a burn scar.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
When I was quite young I burned my finger on a light bulb (wasn't watching when I went to turn the bed lamp off). My mom I think it was told me to put margarine on it… Take it from me, that was the worst thing I could've done!

I read in a magazine this evening that used tea bags can be soothing on minor burns and insect bites as well.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I have a scar on my inner arm just above my wrist from oil splashing on me while cooking when I was 14 or so. We did everything right other than going to the hospital. 2nd degree burn but it healed pretty quick. Aloe and bandage during the day and aloe and air at night. Mom says now that if she knew about the honey then she'd have used it on me and maybe it wouldn't look so much like a burn scar.
If the scar bothers you, put some Bio Oil on it. I hear it helps reduce the appearance of scars with regular use. I rubbed it over my stomach and chest daily when I was pregnant to prevent stretch marks and it worked really well. It's lovely on your skin too!

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Doesn't bother me. Bothers Mom. I have so many scars from thorns, trees, chickens, and random clumsiness that it doesn't matter

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Same here. I have many scars from many mishaps. The only two that bothers me is from my second round of surgery when I first had cancer. One on my shoulder looks pretty bad and one on my neck. I noticed people staring at my neck when it shows, so I cover it up most of the time. I'm going to try and fade it with Bio Oil and see how it goes. But I'm mostly o.k. with them. I told my GP they are my "survivor tattoos" :p

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Manuca honey is supposed to be amazing, but I've found any kind of honey is very good for healing. Something odd I read though, is that sugar is supposed to work on wounds- it soaks up all the moisture (sugar is more hydrophilic than salt is) and bacteria cannot live without the moisture.

I was taught by an old chef once to rub my arms with oil when I was going to fry anything; it acts as a shield to protect you from small spits of fat. It obviously wouldn't work for a large splash, of course.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
My burn is basically healed up. It was white yesterday and today I can barely see it. I gave it a gentle rub and didn't feel anything hurting. Definitely doing the honey treatment from now on, it works!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
DH is starting to get burns from the woodstove- it's been too long since he lived in a house with wood heat I guess. I suggested the welders gloves to him. Prevention is still better than cure, any day.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
But then he doesn't get to lick honey from around his burn! :D

I saw a gallon jug of aloe at the Walmart Pharmacy today for $13 and change....never saw such a large quantity of aloe in my life, so someone out there must be buying that stuff in bulk now for them to offer it in such large quantities. :th