Missed the boat by not having livestock section....

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I don't know, Nifty, a huge part of being self-sufficient is raising your own food and that means animals. Is that going to be an option later maybe? People want to know about goats and milking, but none of these categories seem to fit for asking about them. Just a for instance.... :)

Would be nice to have a blog site also, so we could read about other people's lifestyle and how they have diversified to be more SS.

yotetrapper

Power Conserver
Reaction score
But NONE of them have a sewing/crafts/etc. forum, and a ton of interest in crochet, quilting, spinning etc.

Nuggetsowner:)

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I too want to learn more and more about livestock such as goats, and pigs, however, I know I can learn all I need to on BYC. Why have it duplicated over here?? The only reason I can think of is that eventually we will have members here that are not members of BYC and may not know what they have to offer over there.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I must have missed something on BYC....are there different categories for livestock or just the general, lump them all in Other Pets and Livestock? I mean a different section for the major groups:

Cattle: Dairy, Beef, Miniature Breeds
Goats: Meat, Dairy, Dwarf
Sheep: Meat, Wool, Hair, Dairy
Pigs

They have a chicken forum on BYC...this is a SS forum and a large part of becoming SS is raising your own food....alot of Omnivores out there, so lots of questions. I see livestock questions get lost in the general shuffle of poultry over there. It would be nice to be able to find info about sheep without having to search and scroll through threads about pets and other livestock.

I agree that we need a needle crafting section also....quilting, weaving, knitting, sewing, etc. are all very much about becoming more independent and creative instead of just buying something at the store.