Mississippifarmboy's Living Simple Journal, Ready for a Fresh Start.

Maschil

Power Conserver
Reaction score
HEY mississippifarmboy...

its nice to meet you i need to make one o these journals one of these days

im in southern missisippi so i am glad to see someone else from my location here.....we neeed to talk man i need tips on being more self sufficient..

mississippifarmboy

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Maschil said:
HEY mississippifarmboy...

its nice to meet you i need to make one o these journals one of these days

im in southern missisippi so i am glad to see someone else from my location here.....we neeed to talk man i need tips on being more self sufficient..
Hi Maschil..
Good to see another Mississippian. I'm no expert on self sufficient living, but I'll be happy to answer any questions I can. :frow

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
MFB.....I hear ya on the green paper shortage brother, hang in there!!! God always provides ;)

yeah you need to get off yer carcass and get back in shape :lol: Let me know if ya'll need any help! :frow

mississippifarmboy

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thanks WBF. I appreciate it.

Yesterday turned out being one of those days. I got up around 7 and the phone started ringing. By noon I was so stressed and mad I musta had steam coming out of my ears! I just gave up trying to deal with stuff and went to work on the tractor shed and tried to work off my bad mood. I swear, there should be an open season on liars, cheats and thieves. You should be able to get a tag for them once a year like you do deer. :barnie If every day was like yesterday I'd wind up being one of those nuts you see on CNN every night. :rant

Anyway, I finished hauling dirt in and completed the floor in the main part of the tractor shed and got it all leveled then put the cultivator, the disc and the tractor inside it in the dry finally. I cut up a little more scrap wood for kindling, fixed a tire on the farm wagon and cleaned up a little around the front of the shed. Got the winter greens are planted finally. Planted purple top turnips, mustard, kale & rape this year. Was going to plant beets, but changed my mind. Amazing what I can get done when I'm mad. :p
Going to go down today and pick the last few eggplants and watermelons and clean pick all the cayenne pepper plants. Should be a couple of quarts of dried and crushed peppers once they cure. That will finish off the summer garden.

So far today, I haven't done squat. Just sore, tired and moody. I did some of the feeding and watering and found out I lost my best rooster, my second best cockerel and several hens to some predator. I think it was coyotes (or a stray dog), I've never known a coon to kill that many in one night. I never leave the coop door open, but I was just so upset yesterday I never even thought about shutting them up. I'm just sick because they were going to an APA show in Alabama next month. It would have been my first show. Now it'll be spring at least before I can even think of going to a show. Several other birds look a little ragged but are still alive, I'm just hoping they pull through, otherwise I've wasted several years on that line. :(

I'm going to go finish my chores then I think maybe I'll just take today off and spend some quality time with Em and the kids. I need a break big time.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Dontcha just hate days that start on a bad note. Those are the days that I just try to remember that EVERY day is a blessing, sometimes you just have to look a little harder to find it, lol. But like you said - anger can be a good motivator. Use that anger up and and then just let it go. But, on a more positive note - it sounds like you got a LOT done - congrats on that!

So sorry about your chicken loss.... dang... some days it just doesn't pay to get out of bed, huh? :fl Hope the rest of the flock comes through.

Enjoy the rest of the day with the family. :)

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
We all have days like that. :hugs

mississippifarmboy

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Gave up and took Em and the kiddo to the river.
Just walked the beach, watched her wade in the sand, splash in the waves and look for seashells while us adults just sat and talked. Didn't do a darn thing except relax and recharge my batteries. I really needed the break from everything. Just got home, now I'm going to finish the chores, take a long hot bath and maybe watch a movie then go to bed and hope I can get a good nights sleep.

It's like the Desiderata hanging by my bed that I read every single morning when I get up and every night before I go to bed;

5413_4887844_des.gif

It is a beautiful life.

mississippifarmboy

Power Conserver
Reaction score
frustratedearthmother said:
Amen, brother!

Love that - it is a perfect recipe for life. Glad you had a good day. :)
Thanks.

It turned out being a pretty good birthday after all. :)

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Happy Birthday brother! Sorry for your losses, glad for your gains!!!! :hugs