Mississippifarmboy's Living Simple Journal, Ready for a Fresh Start.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I think I'm in love w/your voice!

Sorry about the pup. :hugs

Happy to be Me

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Wow--love your voice! So sorry to hear about the pup tho. Hope today is a better day for you!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thanks so much for sharing the video - really, really nice!

What a precious picture of Lily - and a great memory.

So sorry for the loss of the pup...

Maschil

Power Conserver
Reaction score
mississippifarmboy said:
Maschil said:
HEY mississippifarmboy...

its nice to meet you i need to make one o these journals one of these days

im in southern missisippi so i am glad to see someone else from my location here.....we neeed to talk man i need tips on being more self sufficient..
Hi Maschil..
Good to see another Mississippian. I'm no expert on self sufficient living, but I'll be happy to answer any questions I can. :frow
ah! thanks so much... i have tons of questions in my head... im just wondering how long you have lived in Mississippi etc? and have you tried to grow food year round before?

ill try to follow your journal

mississippifarmboy

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We have a baby goat! Still thinking there is another one coming, but so far one little white male. I'll try and get pictures tomorrow. ooops, supper's ready, more later...

Maschil said:
ah! thanks so much... i have tons of questions in my head... im just wondering how long you have lived in Mississippi etc? and have you tried to grow food year round before?
I've lived in Mississippi most all my life except for 12 years when I lived in Missouri in the late 80's - 90's and a few years before that when I was serving my country.

I grow three seasons. A light garden in spring, a huge garden every summer then another light garden in the fall. I've never found anything that would grow well in the winter here. I think if I had a small green house I could get a garden to grow even in the winter though. It's on my "to-do" list. :D

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
If you're going w/a plastic one, just make sure you get the right plastic and NOT the stuff they sell in Lowes. It doesn't hold up for more than a couple of months. Ask me how I know. :/

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yay! A goat baby (I know, it's a kid, but I typed 'A kid!' and thought hmmm... better change that :p )

I have a little bitty greenhouse, and am having fun with it - temps here are 40 at night/50's during the day, and I'm picking tomatoes off my plant in there, plus the pickle I planted is coming up great! I'm 'testing' this year, to see how long I can keep both of them alive up here in the frozen North :D

Maschil

Power Conserver
Reaction score
mississippifarmboy said:
We have a baby goat! Still thinking there is another one coming, but so far one little white male. I'll try and get pictures tomorrow. ooops, supper's ready, more later...

Maschil said:
I've lived in Mississippi most all my life except for 12 years when I lived in Missouri in the late 80's - 90's and a few years before that when I was serving my country.

I grow three seasons. A light garden in spring, a huge garden every summer then another light garden in the fall. I've never found anything that would grow well in the winter here. I think if I had a small green house I could get a garden to grow even in the winter though. It's on my "to-do" list. :D
oh ok thats sounds good!!! thanks... your a bit north of me if i am correct.... this year will be my first winter garden... so i will be doing some experiementing...

mississippifarmboy

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Wow, almost a week since I posted! Everything has been so crazy here I just haven't had the energy or the peace of mind to set down long enough to write anything. It's been one of those weeks that every time I would think things couldn't possibly get any worse.. it does. About the best that can be said is none of us are dead yet.

I've found out closing down the biz is a lot more stressful than keeping it going was. I just can't win. Still have five more people I have to settle up with to get the bills down there behind me, plus around 5 more loads of stuff to get moved from the building, which I can't do right now due to health, money & bull. My 12 year old daughter has decided I'm evil because she isn't getting what she wants all the time, I'm so sick, stressed and grumpy it's a wonder all I have had to do is apoligize several times to several people for blowing up at them. I've been so grumpy this week I don't even like myself. :barnie
The bills have piled up since I got sick in June and until I get them all taken care of and caught up I can't get the land we are wanting financed. I talked to the owner yesterday though, asked if he would lease me the land until I can get caught up and get the financing in place. He's supposed to call me in a few days, but the way things are going I'm not going to hold my breath. I have GOT to have more pasture land. I don't want to move, this is the family homestead and it's home, but if I can't get something worked out with him I'm going to have to consider moving and buying more land somewhere else. If I do it will most likely mean having to totally change everything as far as how we live.
To be honest, at this point, a tiny primitive cabin in the middle of nowhere with no phone, internet or utilities is sounding pretty darn attractive. :hide

On a positive note; I bought 9 round bales of mixed grass hay for $100 delivered. The down side is I wasn't home and he put them all in the wrong place, so I've got to move them by hand to where they were supposed to be. At least I've got plenty of hay to last the winter plus a bunch extra. I'd rather have too much and not need it as have too little and run out.
We also have a rescue horse now. I'm such a darn fool. I have no sense at all. I can in no way afford another horse. But I couldn't watch him starve and he is near that point. I'd rather put him down as see him stay another week with no feed, no care and being neglected. So I've got that to deal with too. Free horse my hiney. :hit

Anyway, I'll quit whining and go try and get something productive done around here, just wanted to let everyone know I'm still kickin'.

But first I think I'll go take a long walk out in the woods and find me a nice log and sit and do some serious thinking and maybe have a little talk with the big Guy upstairs.