Modern Pastuerized vs RAW MILK

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I know not all of you can get raw milk in your states, and for that I am sorry.
Thought I would share some info with you that I got from the Raw Milk Resource Guide. You can go to www.rawmilk.org or www.realmilk.com or www.price-pottenger.org for more information.

I'm not able to share it all at once, but I will try my hardest. I found this information very useful.

ENZYMES
Raw: All available. Phosphatase for calcium absorption; lipase for fat digestion; for milk sugar digestion, lactace for lactose and galactase for galactose; and many ohters including catalase, diastase and peroxidase.
Pasteurized: Less than 10% of enxymes remain.

PROTEIN
Raw: 100% availavble, all 22 amino acids, including 8 that are essential.
Pasteurized: Amino acids lysine and tyrosine are altered by heat with serious loss of metabolic availability. The results in making the whole protein complex less available for tissue repair and rebuilding.

CARBOHYDRATES:
Raw: Easily utilized in metabolism. Lactose is slowly absorbed into the blood.
Pasteurized: Tests indicate that heat makes carbs less available metabolically.

VITAMINS:
Raw: All fat soluble and water soluble vitamins are 100% available.
Pasteurized: Among the fat soluble vitamins, some are classified as unstable and therefore a loss is caused by heating above blood temperature. Loss of Vit. A,D,E and F is up to 66%. Vit. C loss usually exceeds 50%. Water soluble vitamins are also affected by heat and losses canrun from 38%-80%. Vit.s B6 and B12 are virtually destroyed.

Minerals, Beneficial Bacteria, Cultured Milk and Fats next typing session, my fingers are tired.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
MINERALS
Raw: All are 100% metabolically availaable: major mineral components (calcium, chlorine, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, sodium and sulphur) and vital trace minerals.
Pasteurized: Calcium availability is altered by heat and loss for metabolism may run 50% or more, depending on pasteruization, temperature. Other minerals are less available because minerals work together synergistically. There is a loss of enzyme that serve as catalysts for the assimilation of minerals.

BENEFICIAL BACTERIA (yogurt, kefir, koumiss <--need to find out what koumiss is)
Raw: The friendly acid-forming bacteria (nature's antiseptic) in a raw milk retard the growth of pathogenic bacteria. Raw milk usually keeps for at least a week in refrigeration and will safely sour.
Pasteruized: Pasteurization greatly reduces all microorganisms. Contamination after pasteruization enables pathogens to thrive. The milk will spoil.

CULTURED MILK
Raw: Contains the original raw milk beneficial organisms and introduced friendly bacteria/yeast cultures which predigest fat, sugars and protein, and also crowd out harmful bacteria in the gut.
Pasteruized: Contains introduced cultures which can be weak or dead, depending on the additives, processing and distribution.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Just so you know, there usually is an underground for raw milk. You need to do some serious networking and possibly trade something really good for it (like learning to milk and milking those goats/cow when the owner has to go out of town ;) ) so if you really want it, you might find it.

Nice research, BBH!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
FATS
Raw: All 500 sat and unsat fatty acids and fatty acid derivatives are metabolically available. Fat is a source of fat-soluble vitamins, essential fatty acids and almost all the flavor. Since milk fat is highly emulsified, it is very digestible. Fats are necessary to metabolize protein and calcium.
Pasteurized: Fatty acids are not altered by pasteurization heat. The enzyme lipase, vital for fat digestion is totally destroyed by pasteurization.

Nutritious Butterfat next

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Hello Free!

It isn't really research when you are copying it! :p But it is so interesting I thought I'd share. :)

delia_peterson

Covered in Compost
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Just so you know, there usually is an underground for raw milk. You need to do some serious networking and possibly trade something really good for it (like learning to milk and milking those goats/cow when the owner has to go out of town ;) ) so if you really want it, you might find it.

Nice research, BBH!
Well, its hard to find down here-I am about ready to hang a sign on my neck that says "will milk your cow for free" and go stand on the corner....:barnie Its like no one wants to talk about it....

delia_peterson

Covered in Compost
Reaction score
I did see canned goats milk at the store..:hit I think that and a gallon of milk from the store will be the closest I ever get...

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
delia_peterson said:
I did see canned goats milk at the store..:hit I think that and a gallon of milk from the store will be the closest I ever get...
Not the same sweetie! I feel your pain I had to search high and low for it and I'm thinking about smuggling it to my mother who is obsessed with calcium. She still lives in TX. I did know lots of goat people in TX, so your sign should work if you switch the word "cow" to "goat". :D TX is all beef cows anyway!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
delia_peterson said:
freemotion said:

Nice research, BBH!
Well, its hard to find down here-I am about ready to hang a sign on my neck that says "will milk your cow for free" and go stand on the corner....:barnie Its like no one wants to talk about it....
The raw milk folks get harrassed in a major way, so they keep very quiet about it, often even in states where it is legal. You need to be VERY trusted before you will find out who and where and what. Some will risk selling some "for pets and soapmaking" but be sure that it does not contain antibiotics.....because sometimes it really IS just for those uses, if the animal needs medical treatment for a brief period of time.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Raw milk contains nutritious butterfat.

Consumers are misled by advertising to believe that low fat and skim milk products are health foods. Today as in the past, whole raw milk with a thick layer of health-giving cream on top is still the sign of a high quality product.

Butterfat from GRASS FED cows is a golden-yellow color and contains vit.s A and D needed for the assimilation of calcium and protein in the water fraction of the milk. Butterfat is rich in both short-chain and medium chain fatty acids which protect against disease and stimulate the immune system. It also containis glycospingolipids, which prevent intestinal distress, and conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) which has strong anticancer properties.