Modern Pastuerized vs RAW MILK

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I sincerely do not want to start a debate, but I have a legitimate question. I can get raw milk. The family we get it from used to drink their milk raw, too, but they always had low-grade diarrhea. They became concerned that a cow disease (Yoni, sp?) could be related to a similar human disease (Crohn's). Does anybody have any information on this? This farm is very well run, clean and trustworthy, but I also believe that contamination would be possible. I know people with Crohn's disease and it is nothing to mess with.

Any info?

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Good question. I am still in the learning process, so I don't have the answer to this. I am just sharing some information I picked up yesterday. (Wonder what people did before they pasteruized milk?) :idunno Are they grass fed cows?

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
No, they're in the barn on silage and corn.

Here's the thing: Some animal diseases transfer. I'm thinking of mad cow and chronic wasting disease in the deer around here.

I want a whole, healthful diet, but I also want to be aware of any possible, current risks.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
No, they're in the barn on silage and corn.

Here's the thing: Some animal diseases transfer. I'm thinking of mad cow and chronic wasting disease in the deer around here.

I want a whole, healthful diet, but I also want to be aware of any possible, current risks.
I hear ya. (Where is Free?)

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Yes, there is a POSSIBLE connection between Johnes (sp???) disease and Crohn's disease. Animals from legal raw dairies have their animals tested, at least that is my understanding.

There will be some people who get sick from raw milk. I didn't stop eating tomatoes and spinach because they made some people very ill. It is not ALL tomatoes and spinach that make people ill, it was a certain batch. Statistically, there are far, far more cases of food-borne illness from fruits and vegetables, percentage-wise, than from raw dairy products.

My goats have not been tested. I hope I don't live to regret that. But I also won't keep my poultry locked up in case a wild bird carries a disease to them, which could theoretically happen.

For me and my family, the potential benefits far outweigh the risks.

Just the way my mind works....

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I am far away from the dairy state these days, so I don't come in contact with dairy farmers easily, but I am willing to drink un-pastuerized, raw milk from a happy grass fed dairy cows just as easily as I am to eat a steak from a grass fed steer (without it being cleansed in an unnatural way). Either way we take chances. I'm not educated enough to carry on a debate like so many here on the forum. Right now I'm just not worried about it. :)

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
I personally, would rarely buy milk from someone else without bugging the heck outta them and their animals. Lol. One really don't know what is going on unless they own their own dairy animals.

There are blood tests you can use and test your animals for certain diseases, as well as immunizations.
Obviously if someone is having a bad reaction to milk, or anything else, its common sense to stop consuming it and evaluate the product.

I personally think the benefits are far greater than the risks when you know the animal and how they and the milk are handled.

I would consider doing some research and requesting some medical info (sounds like a commercial dairy) on the animals if you are concerned.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
I agree Monique. How many of us here process our own foods, can, forage, etc.
There are always risks, but I could definitely die somewhat happier knowing that I died from food I grew/raised/processed/etc. myself than die from chemical induced facility 'FDA' tested foods that the mainstream consumes.

Anyway, there are a series of somewhat contagious diseases the commercial dairy cows aren't required to be tested for, that regular pasteurization doesn't always kill (and of course I can't remember what they were, when I finally need the piece of info), so there are always chances.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
The damage from drinking modern commercial milk is far more insidious.

Anyways, BBH, how many times have you groomed your horse and then eaten something without washing your hands? You know you have!!! :plbb You, too, Merle, but for you it is a goat!

I love to sniff Mya when I milk her. I love the way goats smell. Of course, that may change when my buck arrives....

me&, did the families' digestive upset clear up when they began pasteurizing their milk? I would think that milk-borne illness would cause raging diarrhea, not low grade and chronic.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
You too Monique!

Milking time is very relaxing for me, as long as the girls are behaving and not fighting over food. When I milk I lay my head on their side and close my eyes.. Ahhh.

you can't get any better than that!