Modern Pastuerized vs RAW MILK

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Blackbird said:
You too Monique!

Milking time is very relaxing for me, as long as the girls are behaving and not fighting over food. When I milk I lay my head on their side and close my eyes.. Ahhh.

you can't get any better than that!
Blackbird-
That's sweet :love Your girls know you love them.
Either that, or it's too early in the morning. :th

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Not only have I not washed my hands after grooming, but I have also been known to use their brush if I'm surprised by company when I'm out in the barn!! :lol:

country lady

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
About 1970 we lived near Kent, WA and used to buy the most delicious raw milk. The owner said that raw milk had to have a lower bacteria count than other milk. At that time, two big commercial dairies constantly tried to change a law to outlaw raw milk--competition. We later had three dairy goats, (son's allergy) and the milk was also very rich and good. We were fussy about sanitation--that's the key. Freemotion, what breed of goats do you have? We had a Nubian (love them) and two Saanen. We would keep goats again if we were younger.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
My rescued doe that is lactating now seems to be mostly, if not all, Alpine. My doeling that I plan on breeding this winter is mostly Nubian, with some Alpine and a smidgeon of Boer. I will be getting a LaMancha buckling soon to do the deed.

I also have two obese pet pygmy-x's. I am toodling with the idea of breeding the healthier one just to see what I get. She is a tank.

I can hardly wait to milk Ginger, the doeling. She has such a sweet snuggle-bunny personality....I hope she keeps it! Mya is a Queen B....(one syllable, rhymes with itch!) and she challenges my authority all too often. She was starving when I got her and she seemed so mellow and grateful....then she got strong and healthy, and the true Mya came out! She was definitely never abused, but probably handled by timid people or unsupervised children. I still love her, though! She and I are too much alike!

I bet there is someone nearby who would love to keep goats for you, in exchange for some dairy products, if you have the space for them. Several people here would jump at the opportunity, and I would also love to find someone to fill in for me in exchange for some milk.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Growing up in a small town in TX we also had raw milk delivered to us in glass bottles with the cream on top. I remember when we had to do store bought (dairy closed down or something) and I stopped being a milk drinker. I hated the taste of store bought milk. Now I am back to a glass a day and I don't have to dunk anything into it to help me drink it.

Raw milk is safe and sours naturally

Good farm hygiene practices and healthy cows (or goats) can assure safe, clean raw milk. Raw milk is legal to buy from the farm in 28 states. In California, Connecticut, Maine, South Carolina, and New Mexico and Washington it can be purchased in stores. In California, since 1953, millions of people drank over three billion glasses of Alta Dena Dairy raw milk and there was not one epidemic, not one proved case of foodborn illness.

For more info see: Raw Milk Resource Guide (includes Supplemental Report in Favor of Raw Milk, Douglass and Vonderplanitz) 207-549-3531

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
freemotion said:
me&, did the families' digestive upset clear up when they began pasteurizing their milk? I would think that milk-borne illness would cause raging diarrhea, not low grade and chronic.
Yes, it did. And they know they have had Johne's disease in their herd. There seems to be a link between Crohn's disease and living on a dairy farm in our area, pretty much anecdotal, but serious enough to think hard about.

Anyway, I'm glad our milk is fresh and not ultra-pasteurized...

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Raw milk here all the way. This is all we let our daughter drink. I sometimes get a glass of it with some fresh cookies. we used to buy Organic in the store but came across a now good freind who supplies us with raw milk, fresh yogurt, and a bunch f other goodies when we need them. I have to say I won't be going back to pasterized milk if I can help it. YUM RAW MILK!!!!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Raw Milk builds and maintains excellent health!

With raw milk, teeth are less likely to decay.

Raw milk promotes growth and calcium absorption.

Raw cream prevents joint stiffness.

Children fed raw milk have more resistance to infections than children fed pasteurized milk.

Pathological organisms do not grow in raw milk but proliferate in pasteruized milk.

After three generations on pasteurized milk, cats developed numerous health problems and pathologies of behavior. At four generations, all reproduction ceased. (Pottenger's Cats, 1983, Price-Pottenger Nutrition Foundation)

Pasteurization destroys vitamin A, B complex, vitamin C, enzymes and whey proteins.

HannaLee

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
For those in their area, http://www.organicpastures.com/ is a great source of fresh real milk.

My favorite nugget of knowledge about raw milk...most folks that are lactose intolerant can drink raw milk without side effects.