Moolie - Happy Thanksgiving :)

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Heh, the pansies amuse me... they've been long gone here!

Everything looks lovely! What an awesome hutch! Is it ok to store jars in the daylight like that if they have food in them? I have space above my cabinets that I can put a board on top of to make a better shelf. I suspect I can store several dozen jars up there, which would be REALLY helpful considering my lack of space. Is that ok?

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks, they're not actually pansies but rather violas which are smaller--these ones bloom like crazy all summer long. They are also prolific self-seeders and pop up in all the gardens every spring, I consolidate them into two areas in our perennial gardens. :)

The canned food won't actually stay on the hutch, it's just there to get it out of the way until I can get it all carried downstairs to my curtained pantry corner in my guest room. And to look at for a few days, maybe I'm the only one but I like to look at my newly canned jars for a bit before I move them into dark storage.

As for the half-gallon jars, I won't be keeping all of them on the hutch. Some will move to our bathrooms to hold extra soaps and other products. I might use some as Christmas gifts. Still thinking of uses :)

I do store dry pasta in large jars, and may use some for more pasta storage, but just about everything else will degrade nutritionally over time if exposed to light (grains, legumes etc.)

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Nooo I still have my 7 quarts of tomatoes on the counter cause they're pretty! :p

Makes sense, I love extra storage space! I just have to figure out what to do with all these jars... Just picked up 11 more dozen today, the stack has grown!! I need to sort through them because it looks like a lot of the rings are rusty, and I don't need to keep those... You really don't need many more rings than what you can batch at a time anyway!

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I actually keep more than one canner load of rings of each size on hand, because some times I run both canners at once, or do more than one load of canning in a day. I keep the ones I use all the time handy, but since jars usually come with rings, I keep the extras in my basement storage area.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
love the flower pics! and your laundry room is awsome! looks like lots of storage space!

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks everyone!

Taking my 16-yo daughter for her first job interview today, can't believe how long it's taken for her to get a call--she's applied at so many places and handed out so many resums since before school got out for summer. This one looks promising, they'd like her to work almost full-time during the summer holiday, and then keep her on for evenings and weekends once school is back in. Hope she gets it, she is trying to save up as much as possible for university in a couple of years :)

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:hugs Good luck to DD!

Great pictures! The hutch is beautiful and the laundry area looks so much better!

My garden, even my SFG, is scary overgrown :hide Wish it looked more like yours! I love your flowers and they make me want to plant some here, but promised DH that I would only plant food, at least for this year and next. Then, I have a whole list of interesting ornamentals and flowers I want :D In the meantime, I am rearranging the flowers the previous owner left behind, scattered (as if they threw them out and buried them where they landed :rolleyes: ) throughout the front and back yards.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
SSDreamin said:
:hugs Good luck to DD!

Great pictures! The hutch is beautiful and the laundry area looks so much better!

My garden, even my SFG, is scary overgrown :hide Wish it looked more like yours! I love your flowers and they make me want to plant some here, but promised DH that I would only plant food, at least for this year and next. Then, I have a whole list of interesting ornamentals and flowers I want :D In the meantime, I am rearranging the flowers the previous owner left behind, scattered (as if they threw them out and buried them where they landed :rolleyes: ) throughout the front and back yards.
My daughter will find out today if she got the job, there were quite a few applicants--interviews before and after hers. She's hopeful, she thinks the interview went well, and they said they'd call either way so she won't be left wondering.

Thanks for the comments on the garden, it is fairly overgrown--I had to get in and prune more tomato suckers and have been thinning the carrots for dinners, but I have been keeping on top of the weeds for the most part.

Most of our flowers were left by the previous owners, not all things I would have chosen--I have no idea what most of the perennials in the front of the house are, but they make the place look ok. I really love the back gardens though, the roses/lavender/peonies/lilacs around the edge of the deck and the peonies/lavender/violas/heuchera/clematis beside our shed:

along our back deck
deckgarden.jpg

our shed garden, hoping the clematis eventually take over, but we only planted them last year
shed.jpg

rose by the deck, nasturtium in the veggie garden
rose.jpg
nasturtium.jpg

Dawn419 said:
Thanks for sharing those wonderful pix with us, moolie! :hugs

Love, love, love the hutch! :drool
Thanks Dawn, I love it too :) It's a little worn and "lived with", but I love that about it too--it has history. The people we bought it from bought it when they first got married 35 years ago, and only sold it because they are downsizing to a smaller place and it doesn't fit.

Here's a few more garden photos from this morning:

peas and corn with parsnips
peas.jpg
corn.jpg

celery in greenhouse and cardoon with beans in garden, both a little small yet but we're hopeful--need to blanch the celery now!
celery.jpg
cardoon.jpg

marigold in amongst carrots and tomatoes
marigold.jpg

batchelor's button
batchelorbutton.jpg