Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I only WISH I were that organized and neat...inside AND outside the home :hide

I hope the DD gets her job!!!!

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
She got the job! :weee She starts next week :)

Aw, thanks for the "organized" compliments Cindi :hugs

I'm not really all that organized, honest--just kinda showing off my new hutch. It's covered in even more canning now, so I have to get the kids to start dragging all those jars downstairs because there's more coming...

Here's the entire backyard, you can barely see the two 4x8' gardens that are off on the left by the greenhouse. The deck looks way bigger than it actually is, due to the distortion of my wide angle lens (16mm). To give you an idea of scale, the deck is 16x16', the shed is 8x10', the greenhouse is 8x10', the square gardens are 4x4'.

backyard.jpg

We can't grow anything up against the back fence because there is a 2" wide concrete "swale" gutter there that carries rain water down along the fence to the lower end of the neighborhood. Between the swale and the fence there is about a foot of ground that is planted with a line of bushy perennials that are quite common here, a plant called "snow on the mountain", "bishop's weed", or "goutweed" (Aegopodium podagraria).

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Raining cats and dogs at the moment, and I have to head out in about 10 minutes to get my daughter to work. Garden and greenhouse came through the hail the other night just fine, which is good because everything is in full swing. Lots of ripening tomatoes on my Early Girl plants, the others are all flowering nicely :)

Took a bunch of garden photos yesterday, but haven't downloaded them yet--will post later today.

Planted my "fall garden" yesterday: planted radishes, beets, and carrots in a few blank spots in the gardens, plus more Romaine in the squares where it had previously been growing till we pulled it a couple of weeks ago when it got bitter (it's a bolt-resistance variety, but not as good as the Valmaine we planted last year, going to do that one again next year).

Just posting a couple of recipes here to keep track of when/where I posted them, I recently posted them in Buffy's What kind of stuff do you can?

Newhouse Farm Chutney

1 sugar pumpkin
4 large cooking apples
2 lbs tomatoes (10 medium)
4 onions, chopped
red pepper flakes and salt to taste
1 tsp of each: allspice, mustard seeds, peppercorns, paprika
2 cups raisins or currants
1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
4 cups red wine vinegar (I use apple cider vinegar)

Peel and roughly chop the veggies, crush any whole spices with mortar and pestle or spice grinder, place all ingredients in large pan and bring to boil. Turn down heat and leave to simmer for 3 hours or until contents take on a jamlike consistency and a wooden spoon drawn across the base of the pan leaves a trail that doesn't fill in with liquid. Pack into pints and process 20 minutes (water bath). Nice with "ploughman's lunch " or any cold meat sandwich.
Barbecue Sandwiches

2 quarts canned tomatoes
3 onions, chopped
2 green peppers, chopped
1/4 cup brown sugar
3 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tbsp dry mustard
salt, pepper, hot pepper sauce to taste
1/4 cup pickling spice
4 lb pork or beef roast, chopped (about 6 cups)

Combine first 8 ingredients, tie pickling spices in cheesecloth bag and add to sauce, cover and simmer 15 minutes. Remove spice bag, add meat to sauce, cover and heat through. Pack into pint jars leaving 1" headspace, process 75 minutes at 10 lbs pressue (correct for altitude, I need 12 lbs). Serve in buns with coleslaw.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well, we always have them in the garden, but this year seems worse than ever for slugs. All the rain we've been having the past few days has really brought them out in force.

They've been munching on the turnip greens, peas, beans, a few tomato plants and marigolds (fortunately they haven't got into the greenhouse yet) and they had got well into a few lettuce bunches before I pulled them just as they started to get bitter a couple of weeks ago. They do seem to be avoiding the onions, peppers, corn, and nasturtiums (although they seem to congregate in the shade under the nasturtiums so those are getting a haircut tomorrow to let more sunlight through once the rain stops).

Hubs and I were out this evening during a break in the rain for a while picking as many of them as we could find. It is amazing how something the size of my baby finger nail can do so much damage in such a short period of time. We got more than 40 in less than 15 minutes :sick

We've never done the beer traps before, but I'm going to pick up a cheap six-pack tomorrow and see if that really works--can't find much other info in any of my gardening books or online other than picking by hand after sundown, leaving boards or citrus rinds out overnight as "slug hotels" and picking them out from under in the morning, or beer traps.

Anyone got any other tried-and-true methods for ridding a garden of slugs?

Justme

Power Conserver
Reaction score
You can try ashes, sharp sand , diamotaceous earth, or salt for the slugs. Of course with the rain all those tend to get washed away and you cannot put the salt around your plants. But since it looks like most of your stuff is in raised beds you might could put a thick layer of your choice around the outside edges of the beds and rig a rain shield over it some how. Vinegar and or salt also works as an instant kill when sprayed on them if you have the stomach for cruelty or desire serious revenge. We haven't had a real problem with slugs in years but once had them the size of a giants thumb. Those guys could take out a plant in no time.

cheepo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
MMHH your recipies sound delish..
last year I got tons of slugs this year not so many
this year it was aphids that caused the most damage..
I stomp any slugs I see..and feed snails to the chickens
and cut medium sized pop bottles just a little higher than half
and insert the top into the bottom and put in slug bait...they go in then get stuck
the other thing I did..I have some raised boxes too...and I put tinfoil all around..
slugs aren't suposed to clumb metal i think it helped...
but lately I see holes in the swiss chard..so something has gotten it..
good luck..
they can definately be pesky...

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Try feeding them beer, I heard somewhere that works for slugs. We've never had a problem with them here. I know salt will get rid of them, but salt might also get rid of some of your plants.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yup, planning on the "saucers of beer" traps so they drown happy. ;)

We've put sand around all of our slug-vulnerable plants for years--this year it doesn't seem to be working. :(

I'll have to try the wood ashes, and I've read online that coffee grounds might work as well. :)

Don't want to do DE because we don't want to hurt any of our beneficial insects.

I've read that the copper/metal thing doesn't actually work because slugs travel underground, rather than having to climb the walls of the garden boxes...?

The rain is supposed to stop today, so I'll get the beer traps out later and also try some wood ashes and coffee grounds :)

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
moolie said:
Well, we always have them in the garden, but this year seems worse than ever for slugs. All the rain we've been having the past few days has really brought them out in force.

They've been munching on the turnip greens, peas, beans, a few tomato plants and marigolds (fortunately they haven't got into the greenhouse yet) and they had got well into a few lettuce bunches before I pulled them just as they started to get bitter a couple of weeks ago. They do seem to be avoiding the onions, peppers, corn, and nasturtiums (although they seem to congregate in the shade under the nasturtiums so those are getting a haircut tomorrow to let more sunlight through once the rain stops).

Hubs and I were out this evening during a break in the rain for a while picking as many of them as we could find. It is amazing how something the size of my baby finger nail can do so much damage in such a short period of time. We got more than 40 in less than 15 minutes :sick

We've never done the beer traps before, but I'm going to pick up a cheap six-pack tomorrow and see if that really works--can't find much other info in any of my gardening books or online other than picking by hand after sundown, leaving boards or citrus rinds out overnight as "slug hotels" and picking them out from under in the morning, or beer traps.

Anyone got any other tried-and-true methods for ridding a garden of slugs?
Yep, DUCKS!