Moolie - Happy Thanksgiving :)

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Nice.

I've made jar boxes out of 1/4" plywood with corners reinforced with 3/4" stock. My next improvement will be handles.

Looking at your design, it may be faster to make than what I've been using.

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
moolie said:
(Deleted huge long quiz because it was annoying me every time I updated my journal title :rolleyes:)
Oh, yeah... the fact that you do update your journal title leads me to a thought...

Your discussion and set of pics about your canning-jar wooden boxes is great! But after a while, it will just blend into your journal (and the title about the boxes won't be there) - and then people won't be able to find the post very easily. So might I suggest that you copy and post the very useful post into a new thread, posted in the Do It Yourself subforum here at SS?

It's often the guys who make things out of wood in the shop, and the guys are more likely to look through the DIY subforum. And find a posting (a copy) about the boxes there.

tazzie

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Wonderful boxes, pics and details. These are real gems and will stack nicely inside a closet or pantry. Thanks Moolie:)

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
k15n1 said:
Nice.

I've made jar boxes out of 1/4" plywood with corners reinforced with 3/4" stock. My next improvement will be handles.

Looking at your design, it may be faster to make than what I've been using.
I'd love handles, and hubs played around a bit with trying to drill out holes and cut between them, but the stock was a bit thick for his drill. For the next set I'm thinking we could make the ends out of two pieces of wood and leave a gap in between as a handle, I've been looking at old crates I see in various places for inspiration :)

Joel_BC said:
moolie said:
(Deleted huge long quiz because it was annoying me every time I updated my journal title :rolleyes:)
Oh, yeah... the fact that you do update your journal title leads me to a thought...

Your discussion and set of pics about your canning-jar wooden boxes is great! But after a while, it will just blend into your journal (and the title about the boxes won't be there) - and then people won't be able to find the post very easily. So might I suggest that you copy and post the very useful post into a new thread, posted in the Do It Yourself subforum here at SS?

It's often the guys who make things out of wood in the shop, and the guys are more likely to look through the DIY subforum. And find a posting (a copy) about the boxes there.
Will do, I usually just keep everything in my journal so that "I" don't lose it, but I can totally see the value in having specific topics more searchable :)

TanksHill said:
Great looking crates. Are you using them to store filled jars or empty ones? Just wondering.

g
Both :)

For now I don't have enough for all of my jars, but the crates are super for bringing empty jars from their various storage spots around the house to the kitchen for use while I'm canning, and then for transporting downstairs to my canning shelves and under the bed in my basement guest room.

tazzie said:
Wonderful boxes, pics and details. These are real gems and will stack nicely inside a closet or pantry. Thanks Moolie:)
They do stack nicely, I absolutely love them--thanks for the kind words, I'll pass them on to hubs :)

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Hey, Moolie, this boxes look great. Lot's of great feedback, too.

My question, since many of the pictures had extra "space" between the top of the jar and the box top, do you just stack the boxes on the shelf, or empty the boxes and place the jars individually on the shelf?

I just pictured in my mind a shelving setup where the boxes, just slide in and out of the shelf. Wouldn't be as perty at the pantry picture on the login page here, ;) , put probably be more sturdy and functional. hmmm. you've given me something to ponder.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
FarmerJamie said:
Hey, Moolie, this boxes look great. Lot's of great feedback, too.

My question, since many of the pictures had extra "space" between the top of the jar and the box top, do you just stack the boxes on the shelf, or empty the boxes and place the jars individually on the shelf?

I just pictured in my mind a shelving setup where the boxes, just slide in and out of the shelf. Wouldn't be as perty at the pantry picture on the login page here, ;) , put probably be more sturdy and functional. hmmm. you've given me something to ponder.
Yeah, you have a very nice pantry there Jamie--and you know it :)

Actually, since we don't have near enough boxes for all the jars yet we do both. The shelves in my laundry room and the shelves in my back door coat closet turned pantry are where we keep the wooden crates, and we use them kinda like drawers that come out. Down in the basement we have some metal canning shelves where we keep jars just on the shelves all pretty like yours.

Here's the laundry room and pantry where the wooden crates are:
closet-may2012.jpg
laundryroom3.jpg

And here's the basement shelves (old photo from last fall):
canningshelf1.jpg

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing!

Looks good, I'm always wondering about wasted/unused space. Does seem like a great idea for earthquake protection.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
That looks beautiful Moolie! We just put a lip on the shelves in our pantry to keep the jars from sliding out and breaking. The boxes look nice though.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score

We like boxes for our jars because we are always moving them up and down stairs from the kitchen to the basement and vice versa. We can year-round: fruits, jams, pickles, and some veggies in the summer/fall, and convenience foods like soups, meats, beans, stews, chilis etc. the rest of the year. So our jars are always on the move.

When they are empty I wash them, let them dry, and put them into their boxes upside down to keep the dust out. This worked fine when I had boxes for most of my jars and kept the rest in a lower kitchen cupboard when they were empty, but now I have so many more jars that mostly didn't come with boxes--well truthfully they did come with boxes, but most were really manky rotten old boxes that didn't actually fit the jars (all kinds of sizes) that had been stored in dusty spidery manky garages and we just tossed those boxes right into the recycle bin.

When our jars are full they get stored in all kinds of places around our house--the closet and laundry room shown above, in the kitchen hutch and a lower kitchen cabinet, under the basement guest room bed, and on the metal shelves in the basement guest room shown above. So I need boxes to transport them around the house, especially after a marathon couple of days of canning when I've got jars all over the kitchen and I just want them away and not on all over my counter tops and kitchen table.

some of our 2012 canning in the lower part of my "new" kitchen hutch (see earlier in my journal for my $75 kijiji find!):
hutchcanningAug2012.jpg