1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Help my first pig.
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

More and more free wood

Discussion in 'DIY - Do-It-Yourself Projects, Construction, Etc.' started by milkmansdaughter, Aug 28, 2017.

1. Oct 4, 2017
    frustratedearthmother

frustratedearthmother Sustainability Master

That is cool! I think the pic looks smaller too so it's nice hearing the actual size. Tell DH he's doing a great job!

2. Oct 4, 2017
    baymule

baymule Super Self-Sufficient

I do believe that man could build a mansion out of popsicle sticks!

sumi and milkmansdaughter like this.
  3. Oct 4, 2017
    frustratedearthmother

frustratedearthmother Sustainability Master

4. Oct 11, 2017
    CrealCritter

CrealCritter Almost Self-Reliant

Somehow or another I missed this. Nice bookshelf and yep you got the joinery names correct also. Really good wood working there thumbs up. Should be strong like bull ox.

You may want to consider screwing it into a few wall studs or get all fancy and make a french cleat. Bookcases get heavy and Lord forbid it would tip over. French cleats are real simple to make and also quite strong.once you make one I can almost guarantee you will find many more uses for them.

www.popularmechanics.com/home/how-to-plans/how-to/gmp2340/how-to-build-a-french-cleat-shelf/

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
    sumi likes this.
  5. Oct 11, 2017
    CrealCritter

CrealCritter Almost Self-Reliant

Wow real plans on paper to cool...I can't draw very well so I usually work off of a photo or sometimes, I have the finished project in that gray matter between my ears. It's trying to get it out of there and into wood that's the problem.

6. Oct 12, 2017
    milkmansdaughter

milkmansdaughter Almost Self-Reliant

My plans are rarely on paper. :) Usually, we come up with an idea, and just start pounding nails. But I do like graph paper, and can draw plans out as needed. We recently spent an hour outside moving some of the empty crates around trying to picture different ideas for a raised bed greenhouse idea for the winter. And we had a few crates and 2x4's and played with it a bit until we came up with ideas we both liked for rabbit hutches. A pencil is easier than a 2x4 to move, but both give us a way to get it out of the gray matter and show us a picture before we start cutting. :)

Beekissed likes this.