More than 3 million without power.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I feel for anyone in the heat and no power. I live about 100 miles from the Gulf of Mexico, hurricane country. We got a direct hit by hurricane
Ike a few years ago and had no power for over a week. We ran a generator to keep the freezer and refrigerator from dying and a fan. Cooking was done on the BBQ pit. I prepared food ahead of time, so we got by. I worked every day, never missed a day lol. We shut down on Friday, Ike hit that night and was back to work on Monday. A huge oak crushed one end of our house, but that's another story haha. Hope ya'll get power back on soon.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm like between New Orleans and the Gulf of Mexico. Katrina was real mean....Gustave wasn't too much nicer and Rita dropped part of a cypress tree on my house.....I have no idea how it didn't do any damage or how everyone stayed asleep with that loud noise.
After Katrina, I went to work whenever they called me because I wasn't any good here and at work, I could make money, eat and have AC. Of course, my poor family didn't benefit from the AC, but at least they did from the check. Rita came right after and flooded our neighboring parish real bad, but we were fine, cuz we have a levee.....but as far as I can remember we had power, plus by that time we had bought our first generator (its named Katrina).
By Gustave, we had our first generator (Katrina) and our whole house generator (Gustave). We had a house guest whose relatives were trying to lure out of here and she said she was going to have to tell her family about how she suffered after the storm by freezing at night because of the generator running the AC, cuz she had to eat ribeyes and potatoes, cooked on the grill outside and other hardships.
You can bet if 3 million are without power that 100,000 generators will be sold in that area by next month.

Mr.Andersson

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I've got to wire mine up, to run my 220v well, ac would have been nice too. At least we didn't loose any food in this heat. Yes, I'm actually in the "outage area"

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Did you guys get electric yet or are you using a generator? I've been wondering how y'all fared over that way. I crossed 77 tonight at 611, and the blinker light was still out.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
The storm was a freak storm pattern called a Derecho, and the worst hit areas were right around DC where winds were clocked at 80+ mph. The storm "surprised" most weather folks because there was no cool air to be able to combine with the hot air to produce the magnitude of storms that came out of it. They thought the mountains would "break it up" and almost NO warnings were issued here.
What woke me up was the sound of transformers blowing repeatedly for about 10 minutes. Gratefully, our power flicked out for only about 30 seconds and then came back on again. We listened to the wind roar straight at the end of the house, I heard one snap and one thump. It was so bad that I thought to myself that as SOON as it was over I would get up and go out and check all the pastures. We've had some bad deals with storms before (tree fell on the corner of a run-in shed where the horses were, flipped to the front of it and hit a horse on the way down as the horse was running out. Horrifying!), and the horses were out because there were no warnings for this. However, the storm tapered off quietly, and I fell back asleep, and woke with a start in the morning that I should get up and go check things out.
We lost the top out of some crappy trees across the driveway behind the run-in shed, and a lot of medium sized limbs, but everything else was ok. Nothing major that we can't clean up fairly easily with the tractor and a bit of man power. I am grateful that it wasn't worse.
The only goofy thing that we've discovered is that our closet door in our bedroom is now difficult to open and close. The pressure from the wind must have shifted something in the trailer... a little disconcerting!

The surrounding area has had patchy power. Drive through one area, things are fine, a block away no power and it looks like a war zone. Pretty much everyone I know has been fine, and I am very grateful for that!

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So good to hear that you came through ok, on the news up here it sounded really bad, such wide-spread destruction/so many areas without power.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
There's still areas around here w/out power. They should have almost everybody back by tomorrow night, and have everyone fully restored by Friday-providing no one else loses their power. They're calling for storms tonight and Wednesday.

My son never lost his power, but did lose his cable and internet. He just got them back last night. It's kind of amazing that he didn't lose it. The area around his house looks about like a hurricane came thru. There are trees, wire, and limbs down all over the place. It's like being in a maze to get thru the area due to the roads that are closed.

the_whingnut

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
we had a fleet of electric company trucks from vermont, Rhode island and Connecticut head south on sunday and monday. Hopefully they will help the process along.