MORE two legged puppies... ORGANIC FOOD COSTS worth the price?

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
I got 12 more Chicks on top of the two I got from TSC.

I also saw organic food 36- 40 dollars per bag. or non organinc food 11 dollars a bag whats the real difference?

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I've read that non-organic can have arsenic in it.

Otherwise, I personally prefer to support farmers who use minimal chemical inputs and improve the soil instead of over fertilizing.

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've also heard that you can mix your own feed for less than what the stores charge.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I can't get organic feed except by ordering online.....I don't bother. I just avoid medicated and any animal by-products/proteins in the feed I do buy. I try to grow some things and supplement their feed with a variety of things from the garden and orchard, as well as sprouting whole grains. It seems to all work out fine.

Congrats on the puppies, Ticks! :D

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I give mine layer ration free feed in thier feeder, but I have been giving them alot of black oil sunflower, scratch, and a racing pigeon mix that is just chalk full of whole beans and peas, millet, corn, and all kinds of other good stuff. It is a little more expensive than lay pellet (by about $3) but I figure it's worth it, cause you can actually tell what you're feeding them. I give them alot of this on the floor everyday and they are laying well!

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I read this blog from a farmer out in our neck of the woods. If you scroll down on the page pretty far she addresses some of the real differences between commercially produced organic and conventional feeds. After reading it, I decided that I will not be paying the extra money for organic.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Thanks for the link, poppycat. Yes, I would agree with a lot of what she is saying about most organic feeds. I guess it depends upon what you are buying. The stuff I buy is whole grain and it is raised in Canada, and quite frankly I trust it to be good stuff. I know it has field peas, sometimes corn, sometimes barley and oats, because it sprouts in my garden if it gets spilled there. I also trust Canada to have better regulations than China or South America.

I have purchased the "organic" pelleted foodstuffs put out by the big Ag corps, out of necessity before, and I was not happy with it. It is worth the extra $ and the drive to the feed store with the whole grain organic stuff from Canada. Just my 2 cents. :)

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
poppycat said:
I read this blog from a farmer out in our neck of the woods. If you scroll down on the page pretty far she addresses some of the real differences between commercially produced organic and conventional feeds. After reading it, I decided that I will not be paying the extra money for organic.
Fascinating and beautiful farm...but ouch those prices for meat are high!

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
There are no chemical fertalizers, pestacides, and there are not as many harmful things in the feed, its more about things that are found naturally in nature, which all around is healthier, and can benefit you if you choose to consume produce from those animals..

That said, just because a chicken is fed organic feed isn't automatically going to make the meat, or eggs organic. Chickens eat a large variety of things if they can.. sometimes not all of it will be organic.. then of course you have chemical mite dusters, medacines and the like that could make it unorganic..