Morel's Country Cottage Wow! What a weekend! Fires, chemical spills

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Yup, it's gonna be a chickpad! I am really undecided at this point as far as colours go. I know that I am going to have to have wood on the interior, drywall just won't do with the hot/cold temps because it won't be heated all the time...and it will probably shift some from the frost...so I think I will use maybe 6" tongue and groove planks but paint them or pickle them to be light and airy.
I need some ideas ladies! I know all of you are very creative!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Oooooooo, I love pickled or "washed" looks! I did a wash on my front porch and covered with clear poly....the paint was a woodland green, so now the wood grain shows through the green wash and the poly sealed the color. Looks great!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
what source of heat are you putting in?

oh just get some of those cottage magazines or maybe get a few log cabins magazines and see what the wooden decor is decorated like? just some ideas might capture you......oh my, the ideas from those will knock your socks off. The pics are so pretty and give great examples of color combos etc. Fun times for you! I love decorating but once done, I don't want to clean the room..HA HA

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
what source of heat are you putting in?

oh just get some of those cottage magazines or maybe get a few log cabins magazines and see what the wooden decor is decorated like? just some ideas might capture you......oh my, the ideas from those will knock your socks off. The pics are so pretty and give great examples of color combos etc. Fun times for you! I love decorating but once done, I don't want to clean the room..HA HA
Yes but i didn't want wood origionally :hit I thought I was FINALLY going to have some drywall! I live in a log house and I really wanted drywall! I have shabby chic'd my log house because I am tired of wood! It is sooooo MASCULINE!
Funny thing is...before we moved here I was VERY french provincial in my decor. Camel backed buttoned sofa set, everything perfectly antique, I used to hand paint murals on the walls...and then I moved here and all my creativity went out the window with the move. I have MOOSE lamps...antique lanterns and COLD leather furniture now...
I was hoping that perhaps this could be a little bit of an artists retreat for me so I would want to paint again...

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Just fired up my travel laptop and saw the progress. Sam and I are on our way to Bees. She can not leave until we arrive at her house.

Sam says Hi and he is looking forward to helping out around Morels house. I think he said something about mopping floors. LOL

That cabin is really looking good. I know you are so excited.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Just pushed two birds out of the nest tonight, wished them the best of luck and got over my empty nest syndrome in half a second.....after all, a woman can't grieve for her children all her life, can she? :)

Now....lets discuss Sam's sleeping arrangements.... :cool:

You'll be glad you don't have drywall, Morel! I HATE drywall! Can't hang a picture or anything without making a big issue of it, a gaping, flaking hole and having to find a stud (and you KNOW how hard that is) :p .

How bout a cool white or warm yellow wash on those walls, neutral shades on the furniture with pretty accent colors for the chairs, pillows and art work...nothing dark or brown to be had! I grew up in log cabins and feel your pain! Everything rustic as all get out...depressingly brown, green and more brown.

Deep, over stuffed furniture with cotton twill slip covers (practical and cheap from Surefit) custom throw pillows of your own design....make this truly your chick haven. Lots of shades and hues that are relaxing but engage the eye...you have an artist's eye, so make this guest house your pallet and live in the picture!

Can you just see entertaining your friends for a girl's evening, furniture all grouped for conversation, soft and pretty fabrics, warm sunlight spilling through the window highlighting the blend of colors and forms you have chosen. As the night falls, the lamps get turned on and provide a soft glow that halos your artwork on the walls.....they've got their feet drawn up on your couch, the comfortable laughter ripples through the room, the food, drinks and ambiance is just right.....Morel Cottage...a place for introspection, comfort and peace. Ahhhhhhhhh......slide into the feeling of it.

Yep....I'm there! :D

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Ahh Bekissed, you got it...how DO you get into my head like that? Written any books lately cause your writing skills are truly amazing! I can picture it in your words...gosh I can almost smell and taste it too!
And I am really happy to know you UNDERSTAND the whole log house thing...Good gosh everyone that comes here says..."How could you not like this...it's so cozy..." Ya, it is, but cozy gets old real fast when you crave COLOUR and light!! Cozy is for night time...not 24/7

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Busy couple of days here...I've been quilting. I have three lap quilts to do by Christmas so I am really stressing for time here! It's good though, I gotta get away from the computer for a while! Gosh the next couple of months are going to be busy...between Christmas baking and everything else...
Hope all is well with you all, no time for any in depth reading at the moment:>)

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Haha We're having partridge for dinner! One just flew into my window and knocked itself right out...I'm going to be a hunter yet:>) Hey Quail...MANNA!

Latest posts