Mosquito bites

DawnSuiter

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I feel so silly, but I still do the same thing I did as a kid.
I take my fingernail and press a line through the mosquito bite and then make another intersecting line to make an X
then forget about it

that's it.
:idunno

has worked for over 30 years for me

theegghunter

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
DawnSuiter said:
I feel so silly, but I still do the same thing I did as a kid.
I take my fingernail and press a line through the mosquito bite and then make another intersecting line to make an X
then forget about it

that's it.
:idunno

has worked for over 30 years for me
Hey, if somethin ain't broke...

I use the dry bar rub on muscle cramps! Takes away charlie horses like a charm! I pick berries on the edge of a wooded area surrounded by fields, plus add to that the nine hundred inches of rain that we have had, (okay, not NINE HUNDRED, but you know), the mosquitos are NASTY, but I found the whole vanillia dabs on pressure points on another thread, and no mosquito bites! If I could get the dang spiders to stop biting though!! YIKES!!

clkingtx

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Here are a couple of suggestions, some may work for some, and not others. We heard from someone that you could use a hair dryer. We turn it on high, and aim it at the bite. We keep it the same distance away as you would when you dry your hair. We keep it there til it hurts too much, and then we go on to the next one. It works great for my husband. Something else that he does for his bites, chigger, ants or whatever, is to get his adrenaline going, and get sweating. He usually gets the bites when he is working outside, and he is working hard mowing, or whatever, and they go away really fast, sometimes by the next day they are gone. If he gets a bite after he is done, he has to use something else on it, such as a hair dryer.

Something I read that is a good mosquito repellant, so should work for all insects I would think, is vanilla extract. My husband used to play golf at a course that would keep a spray bottle for the guests to use, and he said it worked great!
Carrie

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
I have 22 bites on me right now.

I found the vinegar worked for a while, I was pouring on a papertowel and rubbing it all over my legs.

I now have discovered that bandage tape - the white stuff works, I was looking for scotch tape to try with the rubbing alcohol, but couldn't find any - the white tape looks funny as heck, but it works for now.
(my husband wants to play dot to dot with a sharpie! JERK!) :gig

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Weird how that tape trick works, huh? I never even thought of using a different kind of tape :p Glad you are getting some relief.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Javamama said:
Weird how that tape trick works, huh? I never even thought of using a different kind of tape :p Glad you are getting some relief.
:gig I'm SO covered in tape! I have now over 30 bites, from taking the dog out last night and working this morning in the garage, its just horrible, we were even burning citronella oil in the garage (in a lamp) and still the dern mosquitos were biting! :rant

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
:barnie :barnie :barnie I can't stand it anymore.

Everyday more and more bites, it is just nuts!!!

Has anyone discovered a fantastic way to trap or kill mosquito's?

I was looking at those propane traps but hot damn they're expensive! I need to get RID of these things, they're eating the horse alive as well, I used up the last of my citronella oil on her last night.

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hate to say it, off. My horse and I are so, so allergic to bugs that nothing but the hardcore stuff works. I use that new Off fan repellent stuff and claritin like there's no tomorrow.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It's gotten to where I can't run out to collect eggs in the middle of the day without getting bitten. When it gets this bad I break down and choose one or the other -spraying myself or spraying the yard.

I'm having an autoimmune flare and I suspect it's from all the mosquito bites I have gotten. So I guess I'll be using OFF until we hit a dry spell in the weather here.

I have tape all over myself too :p But it's better than scratching them raw and causing scars.

peachychick

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
There is a weed that grows on roadsides, near ditches, wasteland areas called plantain. It looks similar to a hosta that many grow in shady landscaped areas. You can google to find a picture.
Pull the leaves off and tear into small pieces, releasing the "juice" inside, then rub on your bites. It works on mosquitos, horsefly, and no see-ums, that I know of.
Unfortunately it does not prevent bites.
Kelli

Latest posts