Most expensive dinner and

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
did you love it?

:lol:

I did a king crab buffet at the beach on my trip and it was a bit over $100 for the 3 of us. BUT that king crab was worth every single penny spent. We did eat like kings.

Plus one time when we went to Canada we stopped somewhere fancy....it was like $60 per person....and with 5 of us.....I remember Dad saying, wow I topped over $400 on this meal. (Of course being a kid I thought, wow! :) ) I wish I remember what it was but I can't. Gotta chat up with Dad on that one LOL

but lately I stay away from expensive meals for obvious reasons (economy and more) but I was wondering what is the most expensive amt. of money you dropped on a meal? And did you enjoy it? Was it somewhere super fancy? And was it for a special occasion?

Sunny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The most expensive plate I have eatten was around $10-13. Cant remember the exact price. It was steak at Sizzlers.. It was very good. Ive also eatten about the same price, also steak, at Outback Steakhouse and it was wonderful.

Ok I lead a cheap and boring life.. LOL...

I rarely go out to eat though..

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
The most expensive meal for me would be Ruth's Chris Steakhouse, and yes, I did indeed love it. For 6 of us, it came to just a little over $850, before adding the tip. It was on my 20 year dinner on a company credit card. That was the only time that I have ever been there, but I have dreams (or perhaps nightmares, if I have to pay) about going back.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Most expensive plate I've had was at around the $50 mark, during a convention when my boss took a group of us out to dinner at the MGM Grand in Vegas. I hate Vegas and have only ever been for conventions, but dinner was heavenly. The gal who sat beside me who ordered the same as I did kept going on about the truffled mashed potatoes that came with our steak dinner because she loved truffles so much. We had dessert too, but I can't remember anything about the price or even what the dessert was because dinner was so nice. Oh, and we had nice red wine with dinner, but by the bottle as there were several on the table for the 15 or so of us, no idea what that was either but it was nice.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
DH and I did king crab platters in Alaska about 12 years ago. I remember it was $35 each plus we had drinks. There 8-10 of us at the table. I didn't see the final bill, we just split it.

OrganicKale

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I think the most I ever spent for dinner for one was about $60. I know I went to a restaurant this weekend and had tiny crab cakes and sea scallops for just over $50- and it was totally worth it. And, I have never gotten out of the Melting Pot for less than $90 for two and again, totally worth it.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
New Years Eve 2008 - The food was good, but not good enough to justify 50.00 for 2 people. We could have made food as good, for lots cheaper.

I also ate at a fancy steakhouse a few times. I'm vegetarian but they had a wonderful salad bar (not just the standard stuff) and I got some sides to go with it (baked potato and sauteed mushrooms). The manager sent over some nice wine for me too. The best part was I didn't pay a dime for it. I did some work for the manger and we bartered the meals. :celebrate :drool I moved away, but I miss going there.
fixed smiley

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
I can't remember the MOST expensive meal eaten out. (Thats how long its been). I think it might have been in New Orleans at Houstons. Something like $35.00 for my porkchop (which looked like half a hog) and around 50 for DH's steak which looked like half a cow. There was enough food on those two plates to feed a family of 8. Add in wine and a tip and it was over a 100 dollars for 2. Worth every penny.
I may be wrong about the restaurant. There were so many meals eaten in New Orleans back before Katrina I can't remember them all. And at that particular time, meal cost was not an issue.

However, I have gone to the grocery store and spent tons of money on a gormet meal at home. Sometimes it is not only cheaper but wiser to eat out.

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We were at a race (for DS) outside Daytona Beach. Friends of friends invited us out to 'their place' to eat. It was a gated community, we ate at the little restaurant by the private airport within the community. I remember DS had a pizza and I had pasta carbonara and ice water to drink. Can't remember what DH had, but he wouldn't let me see the final bill - said my Hollander heart couldn't take the shock :lol: I have tried to duplicate that pasta at home, but can't get it as good as theirs. It was fun to watch the planes fly in and out as we ate, hear stories about some of the more famous residents and see my son light up when we actually SAW one of the more famous ones. I have never asked DH the total and he has never volunteered that info!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
2dream said:
However, I have gone to the grocery store and spent tons of money on a gormet meal at home. Sometimes it is not only cheaper but wiser to eat out.
bingo 2dream....you are so right on some meals. When I buy fancy to make fancy, truly the cost can be very high.

these stories are fun to read from everyone!!