Most unusual item in your "stash"

Daphnetree

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I had for a decade or two a small salt water distiller, the emergency kind that you use on a boat, got it for next to nothing. The weird thing is I have no boat, never had, no plans for one, and live 100 miles from the ocean. A friend of mine has a ocean kayak and I gave it to him and he was thrilled. So sometimes the weird stash pays off. Another weird item may be my ambulance, yes it is a real ambulance sitting in my driveway, full of medical equipment. I used to do first aid for outdoor concerts and still have the gear, hate to get rid of it. But it does just sit there. My neighbors and family hate it, and keep pressuring me to get rid of it. But if the SHTF, I will be ready to help others, possibly trade for things I don't have. Don't own guns, but do have bandaids.

S

sunsaver

My aunt gets USDA commodity packages from the Catholic Charities of New Orleans. She doesn't like the powdered milk, so she always gives it to me. I have several bags of it stashed away. The stuff keeps for years, and i figure milk is a good barter item if TSHTF.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Daphnetree said:
I had for a decade or two a small salt water distiller, the emergency kind that you use on a boat, got it for next to nothing. The weird thing is I have no boat, never had, no plans for one, and live 100 miles from the ocean. A friend of mine has a ocean kayak and I gave it to him and he was thrilled. So sometimes the weird stash pays off. Another weird item may be my ambulance, yes it is a real ambulance sitting in my driveway, full of medical equipment. I used to do first aid for outdoor concerts and still have the gear, hate to get rid of it. But it does just sit there. My neighbors and family hate it, and keep pressuring me to get rid of it. But if the SHTF, I will be ready to help others, possibly trade for things I don't have. Don't own guns, but do have bandaids.
I love it! An ambulance!! YOU WIN!

(Sunsaver, still waiting for that recipe! :p )

S

sunsaver

Okay, BBH. Tobasco sauce is just tobasco peppers, vinegar, and salt. Take any size mason jar and fill it two thirds of the way up with red ripe tobasco peppers. then fill the jar with 5% distilled vinegar. Add plain salt to taste. I put two tablespoons per quart jar. Put on the lid, and store in your pantry or anywhere, for a week or two. Pour the contents of the jar into a food processor or blender. process on high speed until even the seeds start getting cut up. Pour this back into the jar, seal, and let stand for about a week. By that time, the orange tobasco sauce will have settled to the bottom, and the top third of the jar will be clear vinager. Carefully pour out the excess vinegar, leaving behind the concentrated tobasco sauce. Use as is or dilute with salty water to taste. The undiluted sauce can be left out on the table for up to a year. I use old soy sauce bottles and fill them up. The diluted sauce should have plenty of salt or else be refrigerated. I prefer the strong, tangy, undiluted stuff. It's pretty hot!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Another weird item may be my ambulance, yes it is a real ambulance sitting in my driveway
Coolest. Stash. Item. Ever.

hiker

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Daphnetree said:
OK that is absolutely the most awesome thing that I have ever heard of. I am so jealous. :lol:

ETA: How does one acquire a fully stocked ambulance? How much would this set me back?

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I have nothing unusual in my stash...but ya'll have some pretty awesome stuff!! Love the ambulance! It's definately a keeper ;)

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
sunsaver said:
Okay, BBH. Tobasco sauce is just tobasco peppers, vinegar, and salt. Take any size mason jar and fill it two thirds of the way up with red ripe tobasco peppers. then fill the jar with 5% distilled vinegar. Add plain salt to taste. I put two tablespoons per quart jar. Put on the lid, and store in your pantry or anywhere, for a week or two. Pour the contents of the jar into a food processor or blender. process on high speed until even the seeds start getting cut up. Pour this back into the jar, seal, and let stand for about a week. By that time, the orange tobasco sauce will have settled to the bottom, and the top third of the jar will be clear vinager. Carefully pour out the excess vinegar, leaving behind the concentrated tobasco sauce. Use as is or dilute with salty water to taste. The undiluted sauce can be left out on the table for up to a year. I use old soy sauce bottles and fill them up. The diluted sauce should have plenty of salt or else be refrigerated. I prefer the strong, tangy, undiluted stuff. It's pretty hot!
We go through 2 gallons of this stuff a year. Definately on the list of things to make a bunch of this year :D :drool