Most unusual item in your "stash"

Daphnetree

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
hiker said:
ETA: How does one acquire a fully stocked ambulance? How much would this set me back?
Ambulances are actually cheaper then comparable trucks or vans, as fire services and ambulance companys can't use old ones, there is probably an ambulance junk yard in your area. Used medical equipment is also cheap, everyone wants the latest and newest. However supplies from gloves to gauze, to bandages, expensive, anything medical- overpriced. I think you could fully stock an ambulance using second hand equipment like scissors and o2 tanks, and some new supplies like gauze and tape for 7-10 grand. Depending of course on year, make and model of the rig. Ambulances have on board generaters, extra batteries, built in suction, and lots of cool features, not to mention the lights and sirens.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Daphnetree said:
hiker said:
ETA: How does one acquire a fully stocked ambulance? How much would this set me back?
Ambulances are actually cheaper then comparable trucks or vans, as fire services and ambulance companys can't use old ones, there is probably an ambulance junk yard in your area. Used medical equipment is also cheap, everyone wants the latest and newest. However supplies from gloves to gauze, to bandages, expensive, anything medical- overpriced. I think you could fully stock an ambulance using second hand equipment like scissors and o2 tanks, and some new supplies like gauze and tape for 7-10 grand. Depending of course on year, make and model of the rig. Ambulances have on board generaters, extra batteries, built in suction, and lots of cool features, not to mention the lights and sirens.
-and a place to take a little nap!

(OH and if you are late for dinner, just put them lights on and put the pedal to the metal!)

Do you know if it would be strong enough to bumper pull a loaded (2 horses) horse trailer?

Believe it or not there is an old ambulance for sale at a lot downtown!! I've got to check it out!

Daphnetree

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
Do you know if it would be strong enough to bumper pull a loaded (2 horses) horse trailer?
Mine would, very heavy duty van, gets terrible, I mean terrible gas milage, but has two big tanks. I think most ambulances are chosen to be able to go fast over hills and pretty loaded, good rigs, well maintained too, if you can get them straight from the fire dept/ems service.

hiker

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Alright, that has made my mind up. Next group purchase- an used ambulance. M

y medical buddies have been getting supplies here and there- one is an ER MD and you simply cannot believe the stuff that gets thrown out. What a waste.

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I don't have much unusual in my "stash" but I do have a few thousand of those dum-dum suckers and lots of decaf coffee. People will always barter for caffeine and sugar. I also have lots (but need more) sewing supplies, soap (that I'm now allergic to), and shower curtains. Also have a port-a-toilet and 85 gallon water tank (that's currently empty).

Not sure about that ambulance. Wouldn't the zombies and starving druggies come after it first? :hu

hiker

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I was thinking of keeping it at our property- out of site, and using it as a mobile triage area.

but you are right- the druggies would certainly be after any and all drugs they could lay their hands on.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Daphnetree said:
...Another weird item may be my ambulance, yes it is a real ambulance sitting in my driveway, full of medical equipment...
That's cool! We had looked into purchasing one a while back, with the intent on making it a portable Ham Radio disaster communications rig. Our other possibility was a used news van, with the pneumatic pole that can be raised up for an antenna support. When fuel prices shot up a few years ago, and we saw where the economy was headed, we thought better of it. I kinda wish that we had gone ahead and bought something, though.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Read all 5 pages. I thought I had a decent enough stash, but had not really thought of having a huge amt of duct tape. Consider it added to the list. Honey is for sale here, but if TSHTF, I guess it is in my stash and a good luxury item at that. I am from LA too and do eat coon, but never fixed it in a gumbo...heard of it, but it does sound better spoken in French. Then you have a good chance that others won't know what they eating, just in case they delicate. I thought I had a good supply of medical needs (I am a nurse and might require more than the average to tend the extended family), but I must admit, I don't have an ambulance.
I suppose my strangest item, personally would be the excessive amt of canned and dried mushrooms I have. I just don't know how I could cook a week without them. I could go in the woods and get some, but what if weather isn't favorable, so I have a little stash of them.

hiker

Power Conserver
Reaction score
These are all good items. A couple of items that no one has mentioned are mouse traps and lice combs.

I do have some cats for rodent control, but feel like some cheap mouse traps would be good too. And the thought of living with head lice gives me the hebbie jebbies. :(