Motivations

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Haha @frustratedearthmother I have the word(s) you are looking for and it has nothing to do with fear. Why do you stock up when things are on sale? Because you are SMART it will cost more later, so stock up now while you can get a good price on it. I would call that financially responsible. Not fear.

You keep a well stocked pantry. So do I. If I buy one of something, I buy 2 or 3, I hate to run out of something and town is 9 miles away. I also stock up on sales. Like you I have lived in hurricane country, but seldom had the need to run out and sweep the grocery store shelves into my basket, fight my way to the check out stand, nervously eyeing everyone else fearing that they got something better than me or that I might get mugged in the parking lot for my basket of treasures. Why? Because I already have a half dozen of everything in the pantry at home! :lol:

So we are not motivated by fear. We are motivated by a deep visceral need for lots of everything. Ready for your word(s)???
Here ya' go;
SQUIRREL DNA.
Yup, we have squirrel DNA and we are impelled to pack it away for winter. We can't help it. So, no longer must you puzzle over your motivations, you now know why. We're just more than a little squirrely. :gig

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
:lol: I do it with spices. I hate to run out of my favorite spices, so when I shop, I always get two of the same thing....there's been times when I went to buy that particular spice mix and the shelf was empty, so now I stock up when I'm there just because.

When last I moved, I found out I had a whole top shelf of spices, sometimes 4-5 of the same kind. The kids made much fun of that. With items I use daily, I like to have a couple spares in the hole so I won't be reaching for it and coming up empty.

I do the same with toilet paper, toothpaste and other frequently used essentials....like to have a goodly number on hand as the store is 20 mi. away. When I make laundry detergent, I make 4 jugs instead of 2.

All this time I thought it was just type A run amok but you've educated me, Bay...it's my squirrel DNA! :gig

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I was reading in Leviticus yesterday about letting your fields go fallow every 7 years. God promised to grow 3X the amount on the 6th year so I'm sure that meant you were to lay up extra.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I was reading in Leviticus yesterday about letting your fields go fallow every 7 years. God promised to grow 3X the amount on the 6th year so I'm sure that meant you were to lay up extra.

But only on that 6th year. ;) The rest of the time, if you grew extra it was to be given to the poor and each year they were also to leave the corners and edges of the field not harvested so the poor could glean it.

“When you reap the harvest of your land, you shall not reap your field right up to its edge, neither shall you gather the gleanings after your harvest. And you shall not strip your vineyard bare, neither shall you gather the fallen grapes of your vineyard. You shall leave them for the poor and for the sojourner: I am the Lord your God.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ditto on the hurricanes! Now I also keep a stocked pantry for my kids to come shop in when they're short on cash, lol!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Prepping is a good thing. While the apocalypse might not happen, what about getting laid off? Having a 6 to 12 month supply of food and supplies on hand would be a lifesaver.

Knowing that our country is at the brink of collapse, whether it does or not, at least won't leave you blind sided if our country does collapse. Knowing more than the average person on the street won't stop it from happening, but if it does, at least you won't be wandering around in a confused daze when the ATM is empty.

Arguing about what, when, why, is fruitless and silly. Sharing information and considering something that otherwise you might not have known, gives you options.

Maybe at one time, everybody squared off and butted heads over the difference of ideas, but I don't think anybody cares about any differences now. I believe the differences we bring to the table makes for a better discussion. Manners, politeness and consideration of others reigns supreme.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Baymule you are absolutely correct about manners and decency. We can learn from each other or fight with each other...

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I think we are all preparing, in our own way, to varying degrees, for whatever the future may bring, whether it be economic, political, social, climatic or personal downturns. I like to hear other's motivations because it gets me thinking. I don't know everything

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Because of SS I now own a Family Grain mill with an electric motor and a hand crank, if there is no power. I have 50 pounds of wheat berries, so I could even plant some, if needed. I keep plenty of store bought flour too. Hurricanes.....flour tortillas are simple to make, can be made over a wood fire in the backyard and are great for wrapping around meat, scrambled eggs or other food for a satisfying meal.

Pray for those facing Hurricane Matthew along the Florida and east coast.