Motivations

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yes leave the gleanings. There are actually some gleaning programs today but not where we live. We mostly do small truck gardens or home gardens but in some areas are farm producers that work with this program. It's still a good idea to let the ground rest every few years.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
In reading old threads on here I've seen some of that. Haven't experienced it since I've been here though!

I think you're right. If you're prepared for some really obscure and unlikely event, you're also prepared if something else hits.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I've noticed that the most-cited reason for not preparing is a lack of fear. So maybe it's good to have a little fear, even if if's fear of an extremely unlikely obscure implausible scenario.

Not sure how to digest this idea....so a lack of fear in one's life is a bad thing? And having fear, even if just a little, is a good thing? :th

Maybe the word fear is being used to describe just every day ordinary precaution and not necessarily fear as the more common meaning?

Simple Definition of fear
  • : to be afraid of (something or someone)

• : to expect or worry about (something bad or unpleasant)

• : to be afraid and worried

I grow and preserve food because I have the land, knowledge and time to do it and that's been the custom of having food for the colder months down through history, but I don't consider it what others call "prepping", though it IS preparing for a winter time with no fresh food on the land.

Folks who have always done this have kind of gotten mushed in with the whole prepper ideology somehow, so the only place one can talk about doing these normal, every day activities seem to be on self sufficiency, prepper type sites.

I do not, however, do it because I'm afraid of having no food to eat if I don't do this, so maybe there are folks out there with different ideas of what "fear" and "prepping" is, exactly. What motivates one person to preserve food may not motivate another but I don't know that a lack of fear of other people's motivations should be any gauge of what is a good thing or a bad thing. Some folks just don't put much security in material things and goods in this world for help in escaping a prolonged change in the current status.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
What? Did I put that wrong again??? I'm just trying to understand what's been stated and work it out in my mind as to the meaning of it all?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well, maybe I'm just a little more simple minded.... but for example...

There's a hurricane attacking our lower east coast. People went out and bought supplies, water, bread, gasoline.... why? While I can't be 100% sure of their motivation - I think a lot of them did it because they were afraid there would be no food or gasoline for them if they didn't get it while it's still available.

As I mentioned earlier - I've experienced lay-offs, hurricanes and periods of less than optimal income. So, I try to keep a well-stocked pantry. If items I use are on sale, I buy more. Is it "fear" of having nothing to eat later... I guess it is. It's not a "quaking in my boots" fear, It's not a "run out and bop someone over their head to keep it for myself fear" but it is still best defined, for me, as a fear. I wish I had a better word for it....