Mouse in the House

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Agreed, HATE THEM!!! Your story reminds me of the old farm house I spent the better part of my child hood in. We had such a basement, where the mice could squeeze through any cracks in the mortar. But, IIRC, we left a cellar window cracked open enough for cat to come and go. We had an awesome cat, fantastic hunter. He would come in through the basement, and deal with the mouse issue down there. He then learned how to let himself in. He would stand on a bucket, and roll the knob between his paws until he got enough leverage to open the door!

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
we love the smell of wet cement, grout or mortar enough that any space like that would be likely fixed up within a pretty short period of time. a leaky wall like that would let too much heat or cold in and the space wouldn't be that useable as storage or a root cellar if you had to keep fending off mice, but perhaps it wasn't meant to be a useable space...

in grandma's old house they had a coal room. it was long since out of operation by the time i came along, but it was still a pretty grungy room used for bulk clunky storage of old furniture or other large items. it wasn't cleaned up for regular use. most of the kids were gone by the time i came along and was old enough to notice anything. still it was a huge fun basement. there was even a second basement down further which was used as a pantry. they may have also put it in as a bit of a bomb shelter since that was a common thought in those times in case the missiles ever flew.

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
A friend of mine once had a ferret as a pet. It would ride around on his shoulders and head. That ferret was a chick magnet, all the girls loved that thing for some odd reason.
Hahaha. thats funny.. the ferret being a chick magnet.. hahaha... I coz i wont let that thing a meter near me.. 😜😜😜

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i hate to jinx myself my saying this but there hasn't been any more noises in the walls since i caught some mice outside the house along that wall. no more mice tracks in any of the recent snows we've had either (the snow is mostly melted off already). i still don't know how they are getting in though. that's the most annoying part of this...

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hahaha. thats funny.. the ferret being a chick magnet.. hahaha... I coz i wont let that thing a meter near me.. 😜😜😜

Another true animal story... in North Carolina, we had a solid black Tom cat that we raised up from a kitten. He was the coolest cat ever, he even had a main in the winter like a little lion. He used to follow me around all over the place and even played fetch like a dog. I started taking him with me in the truck when I would leave. He would jump on my shoulder and lay across the back of my neck like a scarf. I started taking him with me into all kinds of stores with him laying around my neck like a scarf.

On time i pumped gas and went into the gas station for a drink and he was around my neck. The guy behind the counter acted all scared. And said hey man you do realize you got a black cat around your neck don't you? I said yeah, but he can't help he's black. The guy behind the counter was black himself and we turned into pretty good friends shortly afterwards. But he still was superstitious of Dusty our black Tom cat.

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Agreed. I love seeing a dog or even a cat working to rid property of vermin.
I don't have a pet cat, So I'm training my dog to catch mice in our house, It seems a little bit awkward at first, but when he started chasing one, all the mice seems to disappear.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My husky and my house cat would compete to catch the mice in the old farmhouse I rented. The husky was a pretty good mouser. I knew who caught the mouse in the morning - the cat would eat everything but the tail, spine and head (ick) leaving a blood spot on the kitchen floor and the husky would either eat it whole or hide it between the couch cushions.